Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:45 pm
I'm organising this year's League of Veteran Racing Cyclists National Championships for the 60+ age groups, which will take place on Sunday 10th May. We'll be using the same Sheriff Hutton - Stillington circuit which we used for our club RR last year, and will have Sheriff village hall as race HQ. The races start at 10:00 (there are actually two events run concurrently - a 60-64yo race and a 65yo+ race) and should be over by 12-ish, with prizegiving to follow.

We will have professional traffic management and fist-aiders, but I still need some help in the shape of:-
- Help with signing-on and dishing out race numbers at HQ, and then judging the finish at the finish line
- People with a car to drive lead and following cars for the two races (so four drivers in all). You get a big "Cycle Race Approaching" sign and the opportunity to drive along flapping your right arm at all and sundry.
- People to pair up with the Traffic Management fellas to control each junction. You get instruction in what to do, and the power to stop traffic, legally, with a big "Road Closed" sign. I'm told it's hugely satisfying, plus you get a very up-close view of the race.

LVRC or Vets racing is great fun and truly inspiring - these fellas don't hang around and for any of us hoping to still be cycling into our latter years, it really warms yer cockles. Plus you'll get a voucher giving you afternoon tea for two at Your Bike Shed. Orderly queue, please. Thankyou! :D
by PhilBixby Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:23 am
Many thanks, Nigel - driving would be great!

You've also saved me bumping this back tot he top of the forum - with four weeks to go to the event I still need:-
3 drivers with cars
3 marshals to work with the traffic management lads
1 helper for signing-on and finish judging

Come on people - four hundred members and I have to go back to LVRC and say "sorry, we can't run the Nationals because club members won't put in half a day's time..."?
by PhilBixby Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:47 am
Excellent, many thanks, John!

So, with volunteers from the parallel thread on the General board, we now need:-
2 drivers with cars
2 marshals to work with the traffic management lads
1 helper for signing-on and finish judging...
by nigelt Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 pm
Aaaaaarrrggghhh!

Sorry Phil, I've just realised I've double booked- I have a prior commitment on the morning of the 10th so won't be able to help out :( :( :(

Apologies for letting you down, but I'm definitely not available.

sorry

Nigel
by PhilBixby Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:12 pm
No probs Nigel, and many thanks Martin!

One in, one out, plus I've had one more offer of help from a club member who's never done anything like this before (hint, hint)...

So, now need:-
2 drivers with cars
1 marshal to work with the traffic management lads
by PhilBixby Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:50 pm
Woohoo! Good man (mind you, you should be riding this event, although possibly not the day after a 300k Audax...). So, now we need:-

2 drivers with cars

Just to confirm:- I'll be in touch with all of you a week or so before the event with details of what's happening, where to meet, etc. And your Your Bike Shed vouchers will be waiting for you on the day! :D
by PhilBixby Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:20 am
Okay, just over a week to go, and in the traditional Clifton arrangement we're just about sorted, albeit with a few extra grey hairs! The team for the day looks like:-

Signing on - me and Tim Jackson

Drivers:-
E Race lead car Muzzy
E Race broomwagon John Savage
F/G/H lead car Melly
F/G/H broomwagon Broomwagon!

Marshals:-
TM 1- Sheriff roundabout - Tim Jackson (quick dash up the road after signing on, fit lad)
TM 2 - Farlington exciting bridge - Martin W
TM 3 - Stillington - Ian Hagyard
TM 4 - Moxby Lane - Dave I'Anson
TM 5 - Cricket club - Craig Brown

Many thanks to all. There will be Your Bike Shed afternoon tea vouchers for all and petrol money for the drivers. And the heartwarming gratitude of the LVRC, who will remember you when you get older :wink:

I've got the HQ (Sheriff Hutton village hall) booked from 8am and signing-on starts at 9am. If anyone is able to arrive early-ish to help with setting out the signage then that would be very much appreciated. Races head off at 10, and both are five-and-a-bit laps so I'm guessing will take just a bit over two hours, depending on what the old fellas have put on their cornflakes. Prizegiving (with medals! And jerseys!!! :D ) will follow as soon as we've sorted the results. We're not providing refreshments but the catering van which does the NYERRL events will be there doing good coffee and cake. Bring some change.

Please can all of you either text me on 07875 570476 (so I have your mobile number for the day) or email me on my first name at constructiveindividuals dot co dot uk so I know you've got all the info you need, and I'll see you bleary-eyed on the 10th!

Lastly... ...if anyone else is out and about on race day and fancies helping me make sense of the finish - especially if you're competent at using the video function on your phone, then please come along - around about noon I'll be just west of Farlington looking stressed. Ta!
by Melly Tue May 05, 2015 10:52 pm
Hi Phil,
just checking that although no longer technically a member of the club I fully support its activities and will help at all road race events this year as I have always done (shame more don't and that's why i joined a more proactive set up, but that's not what we are discussing now!!) I will be there to assist if you still want my help, im also ready to do the usual in the afternoon BC race and have volunteered but not had confirmation. Please let me know if you cannot accept my assistance.

Regards Melly
by Melly Tue May 05, 2015 11:19 pm
Apologies to the organisers of the BC event in the afternoon if ive had correspondence and missed it, get that much shite through some times I miss it !!!, Nigel im still available and still BC affiliated but please see my post to Phil :-)