Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:35 pm
Well...the daffs are up and the clocks have gone forward so that only means one thing ! The famous Clifton Chain Gang will start on Tuesday... 6.15pm sharp... and will happen every Tuesday thru the Spring and Summer from Whetherby r'bout... where the B1224 meets the ring road. There a little lay bay on the left about 100 metres beyond the r'bout as you head out of York....where people meet. I plan to be out this Tues. We tend not to get huge numbers but that means that you get more turns at the front! As many people know it's a well established route (Tockwith-Cowthorpe-Little Ribston-Deighton and back home) comprising 15 "brisk" miles and then 15 miles thru and off. How fast it is depends who is out. It's generally a collaborative affair in the thru an off (it's akin to working with other riders if you were in a small break in a race) but it's important to be self-sufficient as the group is unlikely to wait if you get dropped or puncture. If you do get dropped don't let it put you off necessarily. Most of us have been dropped (including me!). Granted, it's not everyone's cup of tea and you can race well without ever doing a chaingang but it does help and it's fun! It's probably the first sighting you will get of people's "race faces" and I know it can get a little intense if you're working hard on the bike and trying to hold the wheel....but as always... please respect and be courteous to other road users :D
by JohnS Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:38 pm
I should be out Cam but weather forecast looks horrible, rain and gale force winds. Looks like another week on the winter bike!

Hopefully see you tomorrow somewhere between Tockwith and Rufforth.

Well done on your result yesterday. That's always a tough gallop. You must have been sharpening those elbows ;)
by Cam B Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:46 pm
Hi John....just noticed the forecast and was about to post something. I know there's not normally posts for the chain gang (1st rule of Chain gang is 'don't talk about Chain gang', etc, etc :) ) but seeing as its the first one!....Yes...it does look like its going to be very gusty tomorrow :shock: I think it's probably not wise to be out riding ...so - as it stands - I don't plan to get out and will do something deeply interesting on the turbo instead
by DamianE Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:05 pm
Maybe a good idea, did you see Gent-Wevelgem?!?!
by JohnS Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 pm
Aw shucks, I thought I could finally ditch the turbo. Still I can't even stay up without 50 mph winds. At least I can't fall off the turbo :shock:

Fingers crossed for Saturday.

John
by timj Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:50 am
Saw the race Damien Thomas must lead sky ay Ronde /Roubaix ?cannot wait.Great racing in terrible conditions...
by paulM Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:39 pm
I thought Ghent Wevelgem was one of the best races I've seen for ages, proper hard and won by a proper hard man - that is how to win a race! Demonstrates why bike racing is the best sport there is. Those echelons still with 100km or so still to race - just great telly! I watched it on Eurosport who were also showing Crit International and Tour of Catalunya the same day - just cant knock it.
Cant make the chaingang next week but hope to make as many as I can - would recommend them to anyone looking for some race training although I'm biased having being doing them since they started on this route.
by mart66 Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:04 am
It was really fascinating to watch the chasers playing cat and mouse with each other whilst Paolini was up the road. Good to see his bravery rewarded.

I channeled my inner Paolini and went out on Tuesday but I had the luxury of planning my own route which was all headwind or tailwind. Managed to keep it pretty safe.

Should be out next week (hopefully) but struggle to make these. Good training though - I think you can always tell on Saturdays who has started doing chain gang.

Cheers