Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:22 pm
Continuing theme of last Saturday: endurance ride followed by an extended thru and off/free for all....... suggest doing West Route (can also do a lap of Saxton to put a bit more hurt in the legs...not mandatory though :) ) followed by a couple of laps of Bishopwood. Hope everyone is ok with that? Assuming the pace is picked up from Sherburn in Elmet it should still be a 3 hour ride or thereabouts which should see us back in time for "Football Focus" or "Flog it" or whatever dirge is on the telly...or you might actually have a life and have more exciting plans for a Saturday afternoon :D

9.00 at Square

Head to Bishopthorpe, Appleton Roebuck, Tadcaster, Bramham, Thorner, Barwick, Aberford, Sherburn, Cawood, and back to York (perhaps with an anti-clockwise loop of the Saxton circuit and/or 2 laps of Bishopwood circuit en route).
by DamianE Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:41 pm
Anyone fancy starting at 8 to make it 4 hours? Bish library. Ride to Tad, turnaround. See you on the road somewhere.
by Sharpy Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:37 pm
Hi guys, every intention to be out tomorrow but Found a split in a tyre so need to head to the shop and swap it out, should be on time but might be a few mins late.

Failing that i will try and chase you down.

Cheers

Sharpy
by DamianE Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 pm
Unfortunately the ride ended on a sore note as poor John touched wheels and went down. And then was promptly run over by Reuben. Seemed only cuts and bruises to the body and ego but the bike and clothing came off worse. John was able to remount and ride slowly as we were only in Fulford, so nearly back by that point. Hope you made it back ok John.

Until then it was a good, tough ride in the wind. I'd met AndyM at 8 and done another hour before meeting with the rest. Things picked up round Saxton circuit with Cam and I spending a little time off the front. We then did 2 laps round the (in)famous Bishopwood circuit. After sprinting at the finishline I optimistically thought I could use the gap I'd got as a launchpad back to York but I didn't make it as far as Cawood before the legs were refusing. More regrouping until Stillingfleet when I thought I may as make sure I can't walk downstairs tomorrow by repeatedly attacking all the way back to Fulford. It's going to hurt more next week when the racing starts but pleased with 80 miles in 4 hours in that wind.

Again, hope Johns alright and hasn't costed the accident until he's got a stiff drink in hand.
by JohnS Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:25 pm
Yes good thanks guys. Bit of road rash, bit stiff and a sore head! Most of the damage is to my wallet though.

I'd have got away with it if Reuben had done the decent thing and either avoided me or hit the tarmac rather than taking the soft option and using me as a crash mat :wink:

Same again next week....ideally staying upright for the whole ride.
by Cam B Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:12 am
You were obviously unlucky to fall off in the first place but incredibly unlucky with all the damage to the bike. Pleased to hear that you are not too badly beaten up
by mart66 Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:23 pm
Yeah - bad luck guys. Glad you are both ok though bad news about the bike, John.

Crash aside, that was a really good ride. Really tough which must be about right.

Some good attacks going off from Damian and Sharpy. I thought three of us had sneaked away at the end but Damian and Cam decided to attack each other which meant I had to work hard just to wheelsuck!

I didn't enter seacroft so am looking forward to a similar ride next week.

Cheers
by Sharpy Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:52 pm
Bad news on the off guys, glad its 'only' the bikes that are damaged.

Very tough ride one of the toughest once we got to the road to aberford, but a good work out and prep for the racing season, although i think i need to spend less time on the front... which is often the case. :D

Wont be out next weekend as i am racing cx,

Cheers

Sharpy
by reubenbarrett Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:34 pm
That definitely counts as one of the most brutally hard training rides I've done but it is exactly what you need for racing. Thanks to Damian for coming back and rescuing me after I blew up on Saxton, although somehow I managed to get going again after that after a bit of a drink and a few Shot Bloks.

I had about 2 milliseconds to react when John went down and hit him good and proper as I didn't have any choice in the matter. Good that we only doing 20mph ish at the time. I think that was just tiredness at the end of the ride from John as we were all pretty f%^&ed at that stage. Maybe we should all be a bit more cautious on these harder ones as I could really do without any more aggro from the Mrs about broken bones! We really shouldn't be crashing on training rides... I'm a bit stiff but managed a few miles on the CX bike today so nothing major.