Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by WillK Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:30 pm
Certainly not wanting to tread on any toes here, but I note from Cam's last post that the race circuits are going to start this Saturday. I understand entirely that this is an important part of building for the race season, but as a non-road racer I don't really relish the inevitable blood, sweat and tears involved (well, certainly on my part anyway based on past experience.. :shock: ) and I miss the benefits of the usual group ride (be that 'spirited', 'biscuit' or whatever) at the weekend.

So, if there is any appetite for a group of us to continue with the traditional routes I would be happy to lead the first couple and see how it goes. If not, I will HTFU and get on with the race circuits!

Thanks

Will
by DamianE Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:03 pm
Hi Will,

I'd give the 8:45 a go tbh. Not quite as quick but you can make it as hard a workout as you like, just try sitting on the front for the last hour. Plus the added benefit of going places that are new and using something called 'bottom gear' which I hadn't used in years until I went on one of their rides recently and encountered what they called a climb.
by nickb Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:33 pm
Same here Will. I really don't enjoy those laps. I'm gonna head out into the wolds if there isn't a relatively normal ride going out this Saturday.
by PeteN Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:51 pm
I'm not a 'laps' man either... They go round corners quickly and weird stuff like that. I prefer a straight A-road and a single roundabout, then back the opposite way for my racing :wink:
I would opt for malton route personally. I've done 8.45 a few times and its been fun, but they sometimes tend to stretch it out to 4 hours which doesn't suit my family / marriage.
by WillK Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 pm
Thanks for the comments guys.

Pete, Nick, are you up for the Malton route this Saturday then? If we give a shout in the square I am sure we will pick up a couple more who don't fancy the laps.

Cheers

Will
by MikeR Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:47 am
Hi Will,

As Damian highlighted, the 08:45 ride may provide what you are after. We run it as a "fast social ride", rather than a training ride, so we keep everyone together and regroup at the top of climbs if necessary. This is designed to be a challenging ride, so the pace is often somewhere between biscuits and non-biscuits, and we go over as varied terrain as possible. Many of our regulars also dip in and out of the training rides, so you may have competition for that spot sitting on the front.

We post the proposed route for the weekend ahead on the forum, so if you would like to suggest changes or request that it is slightly shorter to get you back for other commitments, we are very happy to discuss before we get to the Square on Saturday morning. The rides typically get us back before 12:30 - often bumping into the end of the training ride as we get into York.

We are planning to head over to Galphay this week for a good bit of climbing - 70 mile round trip - so a bit further than usual.

Hope to see you at 08:45 if you think that this might be your cup of tea.