Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by RichardD Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:13 pm
Having spoken to one or two people recently who have reached the qualifying standard (or vaguely remember it), I thought it might be useful to post that the 2015 race calendar has just been released. You can find instructions on joining, the calender, etc at http://lvrc.org/.
by DamianE Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:54 pm
Hi Richard, thanks for that. I'm one of the newly qualified (getting deaf, can't remember stuff, rides a bike, still thinks he's 25, has spent too much on cycling gear to pack it in now) so I will have a look at joining up. On first glance it seems a major pain that Mrs Evington has booked the first 2 weeks in May as our holiday in Ibiza this year! Let me know what anyone is entering in good time and we can sort out lifts (I can easily take 4 of us)
by DamianE Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:47 pm
First one looks to be Barton? Seem to recall a few of you doing that before, handicap isn't it? Who is going, is it worth entering?
by RichardD Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:08 pm
Others may have a different opinion on this but in the A group (40-45) there is little chance you will catch the front of the race because it is too short for the handicap gaps. In my experience the A group tends to be quite small compared to the others and one year I ended up doing essentially an ITT. The course and the organisation are good though and it is a good workout. Entering on the line is usually no problem. I did not do it last year but I think at least Phil, muzzy and MarkD did and may be able to add anything if things have changed.
by JohnS Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
Damian

I rode it last year and was actually one of the most enjoyable races of the year. Rode with the B's and we had quite a big group but only about half a dozen who were willing to work. Which made no sense in a handicap event! Thought the Vets were supposed to know what they were doing.

It's only short but a tough circuit with a couple of tough little climbs. I do think it's a tough one for the A depending on numbers but you and Richard should have no problem doing a 2-up. :D

I'm hoping to ride this year. Which reminds me I really need to get some races entered. Oh and some training might help as well :shock:

John
by PhilBixby Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:06 pm
I'll be there - I've done Barton every year since I started racing. As per previous posts - tends to be hopeless for the A's, but fun for the B's and older. By the time you get to the D's like me, you start having fewer excuses for not at least finishing within sight of the winner! The same circuit is used for their Midsummer race, which is a conventional (ie not aussie pursuit) event.
by DamianE Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:42 pm
I suspect Richard would drop me in a 2 up :shock:

But I think I'll leave it to the day, see what the weather is like and enter on line. Im not doing snow or rain with no chance of winning.