Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:06 pm
We’ll go East on Saturday..... “The Traditional Training Route”....that is :- York - Malton via the Buttercrambe road, Coneysthorpe, Terrington, then a loop of the Sheriff Hutton/Stillington circuit (that'll be a right at the mini roundabout after the climb into Sheriff) then back to York.

Same drill as last week. We’ll keep to smallish groups and keep it steady. 9.00 in Exhibition Square

Forecast: looking like it could be bright and breezy...possibility of showers...c.13 degrees
:D
by chester56 Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:50 pm
Having had a combined osteotomy/knee replacement in mid-July, I could not resist the opportunity to turn up this morning and do my first ride since the op.....and then I realised we were doing the Malton route and I was under strict instructions not to get out of the saddle.....arghh....Good to see the same 'old' faces.......

Nonetheless, I got round, coming back, with Jess who was making her first appearance since having her baby (congratulations) feeling sore all over......things can only get better....I hope

Andy
by timj Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:06 pm
Andy good to hear u r riding again never mind doing the training ride !Jess congratulations albeit a tad late !
by DamianE Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:42 pm
First one in a while for me, seemed to be a lot of people I hadn't seen in ages. Must get out more on Saturdays! Although at this pace, I might need to wait a bit. We rattled out of York, admittedly with a tailwind, but by the time we came to the lumps and my turn at the front I was thinking that was fast enough. I was glad when Cam punctured and amazed nobody had been distanced on the first hill. Group of 6 then for the remainder and that was a bit better but I seemed to end up doing turns with people on summer bikes and carbon wheels which made it hard work. It was obviously one of those days. Felt better as ride went on ie as we slowed down :D and did a little loop out west to make the most of my only long ride this week. Normalised power was just the wrong side of ouch and way above steady. Going back into hibernation to get fitter. :P
by Paul W Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:18 pm
No riding for a week then deciding to ride out from malton to meet the group's to buttercrambe into the wind the whole way really took its toll on me.had to wave the white flag at cam just after terrington. Decided to slow down a bit and headed to do do a bit of steady climbing.. so not a total waste of a Saturday. Echoing Damiens comment regarding summer bikes and flash wheels.. think I may have to get mine back out to keep up. :D
by Cam B Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:18 pm
Hard to believe it's November so mild was it today. One of our number was in shorts and shirtsleeves which was probably the right choice. I felt overdressed and was somewhat toasty. Sorry Damien...no biscuits this week. I struggled to open a packet of custard creams on the road to Malton and then gave up. Another swift "steady" ride. I do think it's best if we are in smaller groups. After we agreed to split it in half (we had 15 in Square) we seemed to have a bigger half going out in the first group :) I just think that we all get more "training benefits" from this relatively short ride if we all get regular turns at the front. Anyway we can sort this next week and hopefully we can try and keep it STEADY. Welcome back Andy and Jess. I knew Jess had been riding her bike again but I was little gobsmacked to see Andy so soon after his op! Chapeau to both :D
by Jess Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:28 pm
Well, I reckon a knee op Top trumps my '6 weeks after giving birth' claim. Either way we both had a tough ride out!

Turned up to see a few in the square and, as Cam says, we split into two halves, I was a bit worried to find myself in the 'smaller half' with Richard, John S. and two Andys. 'Never mind - you get more of a work out in a smaller group' was the phrase Richard uttered as we rolled out - exactly what I was afraid of!
With other encouragement such as 'keep it steady on the hills' (like there was any other option for me!) the guys got me round pretty much to Castle Howard before the wheels came off. (Thanks guys).

Stopped for a rest the bottom of Terrington bank . I did I fact open a packet of biscuits, but sadly they aren't the same brand as Cam's. Still, it was enough to just about get me home in the gruelling headwind. Andy C and I both in a world of pain on the way home. Possibly (probably) we are both bonkers. ;-)

Still, the return has been made and I'm sure we will see a few more tough sessions before the fitness returns. (But It's Will's turn next week)
by mart66 Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:12 pm
Well done Andy and Jess. Tough one to choose for your comeback ride.

Our group seemed a bit large, so Cam's puncture seemed a good opportunity to split. Three went off ahead and after some discussions Phil, Nick and I decided to join them.

DEFINITELY too quick up the hills. Painfully so. Bit early for max effort hill repeats I reckon. Decent riding back to town though - nice steady pace line.

As an aside, I went out with the 8:45 group a few weeks ago. There are some strong lads in there and they hit the hills pretty hard, I presume, all year round. That ride may be more suitable for anyone who wants to test themselves on the climbs at this time of year.

Cheers
Martin
by PhilBixby Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:15 pm
"As an aside, I went out with the 8:45 group a few weeks ago. There are some strong lads in there and they hit the hills pretty hard, I presume, all year round. That ride may be more suitable for anyone who wants to test themselves on the climbs at this time of year."

Wise words, Martin. I wasn't there on Saturday but since I can picture it in my mind's eye, I'll simply post this link...

http://www.flammerouge.je/factsheets/heartbeats.htm
I'll get me coat... :wink: