Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:42 pm
You can stop shaving your legs now ‘Road Racers’...the season’s over! But... the good news is: the “Training Rides” start this Saturday, 9.00am from Exhibition Square. We’ll go South...as follows:

York, Elvington, south to Howden, Hemingbrough, Skipwith, Thorganby, Wheldrake, Escrick, Stillingfleet, Naburn, and back to York.

Forecast: Breezy, cloudy and mild (16-17 degrees), with rain at times.

A few of the Training Ride regulars met recently and thought about the format of these rides this year. After lengthy negotiations with Phil B’s copyright lawyer I have rather shamelessly plagiarised pretty much all of what Phil said last year about these rides. So... here goes:

When?: 9.00 am prompt Saturday morning from Exhibition Square. When the weather gets wintry, please check on here for last-minute news before turning out, in case routes are changed or rides cancelled.
Who is this ride for?: Open to Clifton members and friends (or those looking to join the club) who intend to race in 2014.
How far will we ride?: Generally on one of a series of regular routes (which will be outlined on here), each being approximately 3 hours non stop riding - up to about 60 miles.
What's the format?: The rides are group rides, with the intention of sticking together and taking short turns on the front - briskly on the flats and steady on the hills. Depending on the overall turnout on the day, there will usually be two or more groups of around 8 riders (We thought that 8 is a good number in a group...much more than that and you don’t get enough turns at the front). One of these will be for 2nd/3rd cat riders or those who know they are at that level of ability. You will get the best value from these rides if you are in the right group (which is not necessarily the fastest).
Who is in charge?: Ride leaders will be allocated to each group. They will actively manage the group and you'll be expected to follow their instructions/advice. They will set an appropriate pace (which may be anywhere between 18-22mph but generally builds steadily towards the start of the race season. At this time of the year we should definitely be at the lower at end of this range. These are meant to be “endurance” rides at this time of year not “burn-ups”). I should be down most weeks and I am happy to lead one of the groups. If other “regulars” could stick their hand up on the morning (assuming they know the routes!) and lead one of the other groups.... Cheers.
Is this all I need for success and stardom?: The rides are good practice for riding in a fast group. We will do pace line work; get people used to changing side depending on wind direction etc. We will vary the route to include hillier routes when weather permits to reflect the type of circuits you are likely to race on in this region. But it is assumed that you will be doing other training (either on the road or turbo) to cover other training needs.
Will I get dropped?: Hopefully not, but... Unless mechanical issues/accidents occur, riders should not expect a training ride to slow to regroup. Everyone should be aware of the route so they can find their way home without the rest of the riders worrying about them. If it's your first time on one of these rides or you're a junior rider we'll make sure you get home safely. Please make sure you're self-sufficient in puncture repairs etc.
Anything else I need to know?: Just a couple of comments:- (i) We represent Clifton Cycling Club so please treat every car driver as a considerate road-sharing road user unless proven otherwise, and only pass vehicles if you're positive the whole group can safely do likewise, and (ii) mudguards of some sort can be safely fitted to any bike and you should really be thinking about putting some on your bike now until the early season races start (or roads are bone dry).
by PhilBixby Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm
I took my densely hairy legs round the southerly route today - the road surface is getting better all the time, but beware conkers all over the road in Wressle! Also worth mentioning that it would be worth a few people having rear lights if it's a sunny morning tomorrow as you're riding straight into the sun (no not literally like in that Danny Boyle film. Look, you know what I mean) for most of the first hour. Enjoy!
by Cam B Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:59 pm
10 out this morning. A couple of new nice-looking winter bikes on display. Stiff wind out to Howden made it a challenge but v. mild indeed for this time of year and I soon found that I really didn’t need leg/arm-warmers. Overall speed certainly on the swift side and - if I’m honest - quicker than I would have liked to go but everyone seemed happy with this and no-one missed any turns, keeping them nice and short before swinging off. Though I can see groups getting split if we continue at this speed on lumpier routes over forthcoming weeks so be prepared to listen out for “knock one off” etc., etc. :) John punctured late on in the ride and assured us he was ok to sort this before waving us on.
Good ride. Thanks guys. :D
Last edited by Cam B on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Paul W Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:53 am
Feeling a bit nervous at the square once I'd realised I'd be with some of the familiar racing lads.and not knowing what level I was at in comparison. nice smooth riding by all.many thanks. made my return to Clifton seem worthwhile.:-)
by mart66 Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:22 pm
First training ride of winter and the discussion board isn't awash with complaints and arguments? You've got to be happy with that, I think.
Good riding all. Pretty smooth and steady. Sensible stuff too - the stronger guys didn't smash it to bits and if people were struggling they took shorter turns, simple!
I averaged 19.6mph door to door which included a steady warm down with Cam. Normalised power of 203w for the whole ride which just creeps into tempo for me. Probably about right? Not sure, still learning this power lark.
Cheers
Martin