Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:18 am
Not sure if there are any hostilities today, but yesterday featured the end-of-road-season Selby CC road race on the same Kelfield circuit that was used as part of the NYERRL series. Rather bafflingly publicised as having the finish on a climb (there aren't a lot of climbs around Stillingfleet, and this sure as hell wasn't on one of them) it was flat and, like the previous event, pretty fast. A number of Clifton names on the start sheet including a couple I didn't recognise, and some of the usual suspects including Mart and Muzzy.

The pace was sufficiently brisk that nothing got away - a pair dangled off the front for much of the first lap and Craig Gath attacked twice each lap - and so it came down to the usual messy 3rds/4ths run-in to the line. As we flew through Kelfield village the bloke next to me said "is it really worth your life?" and Muzzy and I, sat just behind the full-width-of-the-road bunch, had clearly jointly decided it wasn't. I'd kind of enjoyed the challenge of sticking in there up until then, though. 248W and 25.3mph, and hitting 35 each lap on the flat downwind section.
by mart66 Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:07 pm
Selby RR for me on Saturday.

I've wasted too many races this year by just faffing around at the back of the bunch so I though I'd try to stay somewhere near the front from the off.

On the second lap tried to get away a couple of times with a few others but I don't think that we managed to get a gap of any note. However, I did manage to concentrate and stay in the front half of the pack for the rest of the race.

I certainly wouldn't describe the finish as 'uphill' but there must have been a slight incline. When it came to the sprint some of the big engines, that I thought would power away, seemed to really struggle. This allowed me to sneak through and finish ninth. First and last points of the season!

This was my first race with a power meter and my stats were: average power 200w, weighted power (is this the same as normalised?) 228w. Does this sound right? Seems a bit low but maybe I'm a weakling.

Cheers

Martin
by PhilBixby Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:43 am
"average power 200w, weighted power (is this the same as normalised?) 228w. Does this sound right?"

My numbers were 248W Normalised and 220W average, I reckon what your software calls "weighted" is equal to Normalised (it takes account of changes in effort and acknowledges that changes in pace are more tiring than a steady pace).

I'm guessing you weigh less than me - I'm 71 kilos so my output for the race was 3.5W/kg; as per previous discussions on here re AndyM and me, the heavier (and taller) you are the more power you need for the same race speed, and vice versa. Other variables will be how much time you spent on the front and how good you are at moving through the bunch with minimum effort.

I'm sure different power meters (and types of power meter) will have differences in calibration - the most important thing is that it's consistent and you can therefore what your important numbers are (threshold, vO2max etc) and monitor them / (hopefully) improve them!
by paulM Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 pm
Selby CC road race for me. My first mistake was believing the publicity and entering. My second was actually turning up although the ride out and back was actually the highlight of the day. My third was going to the wrong pub in Riccall thinking it was the hq. I should have cut my losses at this point and just stayed there. I think I did actually put in the first half hearted attack of the day and then spent the next 34 miles as last man in the bunch which at least gave me two exit strategies. I had no issue with the pace - compared to the previous week it was a stroll but I was very uneasy about the circuit in my opinion it was downright dangerous. Was seriously thinking about calling it a day at the end of the opening lap but for the second successive season I've started every race I've entered and finished every race I've started so I just counted down the laps to the end. Although not mentioned 1 rider was actually away alone to take the win so clearly he had a good day and well done to Mart with 9th place you should be very pleased with that!