Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:55 pm
After a few years of being Racing Secretary I need to hand it on to a next lucky recipient - which could be you. Yes, you! The purpose of this posting is to set out a bit about what the role involves (and doesn't involve) and to get some of you thinking and ready to step forward to form an orderly queue.

Okay, what's involved:-
- You become a member of the committee so you get to go to committee meetings at the ever-welcoming Your Bike Shed. This isn't a big deal; they're about every three months, they last two hours max, and you can drink beer throughout them.
- You need to deal with the SPOCO paperwork (simple forms and risk assessments which have all been pre-done) and keep an overall eye on the SPOCO arrangements - but not organise/marshal/whatever
- You become the contact person for BC and LVRC, but this only involves a couple of emails a month max
- You get to decide the club's race programme for the year ahead and fire off the necessary forms to BC/LVRC. This is done these days over a pint with most of the club's regular racers, as we now have half a dozen or so people who have organised events, so there's no expectation that you have to actually organise anything yourself (and I'm happy to continue to organise whatever LVRC stuff we do, certainly for next year).
- You need to deal with liaison with First Aid and Traffic Management providers for the club's events - basically a couple of emails in each case since they're both well-oiled organisations.
- You need to keep an overall eye on event budgets, but individual event organisers are expected to keep records so this is pretty nominal (and the club isn't financially wobbly, so there's no edge of panic to it).
- You need to keep the race-related web pages vaguely up to date (ie the right event dates/details for the year in question). This is pretty simple with the Google site setup, and help is at hand if needed.
- You need to keep track of event signage, SPOCO files etc. The signage overwinters in Dave I'Anson's shed, so it basically means checking we've enough of everything, ordering up replacements if needed, and ensuring it's available for the first event organisers in the spring. I've ended up with some of this stuff living in my spare basement store, but it's not a logistical nightmare or anything. And you can always ring the club bell just for the hell of it if you feel in the mood! :D
- You need to take a lead in organising the Saturday training rides. These have a fair amount of routine about them so it's not a major thing, and we might be able to pre-agree some of the arrangements via the end-of-season Pub! session.

What's not involved:-
- It doesn't - or shouldn't - take up huge quantities of time. I'm stepping down because (i) I reckon it's time for a change and new blood and (ii) my self-employed day job is burying me in work at the moment and looks set to continue to do so and (iii) I've just taken over as chair of York Environment Forum and that's looking like taking up whatever spare time I have. Plus I'd like to simply focus on training and racing for a bit.
- You don't need to be a cycling legend, the fastest bloke in the club, an example to all, or any of that - as I have ably proved over the past few years! I have tried to set the bar low and, I feel, I have largely succeeded. You just need to be reasonably able to organise, and reasonably willing to communicate.

Okay, that queue. In time for the OGM on 18th November, per-lease!
by WillK Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:41 pm
I would throw my hat into the ring Phil but with parenthood imminent it's not good timing and being an imposter (triathlete) probably doesn't make me equipped for the role anyway!

I am sure that I will not be the first to say this but a huge THANK YOU for all the effort you have put into the club and training activities. It's folk like you who do the relatively unseen hard graft which keeps the cogs turning, and makes the club worthwhile and meaningful for others.

Will hopefully be seeing you out on a training ride soon (sleep deprivation levels permitting...).

Will
by Jess Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:50 pm
Phil,

Shame to see you are standing down, but can see why when you have such a lot on.

Like Will, I wanted to say a HUGE thank you to you. I will never forget you nursing me round my first training ride, (toe clips and all) and encouraging me to turn up week after week, despite being consistently dropped. (And at the time, the only girl in the village).
You and some of the other clifton stalwarts taught me the art of group riding (an education many riders are not lucky enough to get), how to officially 'dig in' and put up with me throwing my toys out of the pram occasionally.

It was also your belief in my ability that made me start time trialling, something I have had reasonable success with (and hopefully will continue to do so in the not so distant future)

Anyway, what I'm getting at is I would not be half the cyclist I am (or was last season, anyway ;-) ) without your help, encouragement and general words of wisdom. I have thoroughly enjoyed discussing tactics, power numbers and bike details over the few years I have known you - long may that continue.

Hope to see you Out There when I am back up to fitness.

(Not to put the pressure on, but the new racing secretary has big shoes to fill) :D

Jess
by PhilBixby Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:10 pm
(Not to put the pressure on, but the new racing secretary has big shoes to fill) :D

Now you know you don't mean that... ...c'mon people! Step forward! Don't be shy! Let's be 'aving you!
by Melly Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:56 pm
I would like to congratulate Phil for the work he has done over the last few years that I have known him and the many years he has carried out this role for the club, the honesty, help to new riders, organising training rides etc and enthusiasm he brought to the role and those seeking to get involved was second to none!!!. Once upon a time when I joined I would have taken it as an honour to succeed such a valued club member....My wife's recent transplant 2 weeks ago, prevents me from doing so hence my committee resignation earlier this year,but ... the main reason that I feel it will be so difficult to find a replacement for Phil is the complete reluctance from a membership of 400 is to support the people who go over and above, what should be expected from individuals to run the club, promote the events and basically put in so much work that some people appear to think happens with no input....Thanks Phil for your undedicated work, friendship to a newbie and advise over the last few years !!!
by mart66 Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 pm
I'm sure that Phil started this thread in the hope of being inundated with offers from potential successors rather than words of praise and people ruling themselves out, but....

Great work, Phil! :D You certainly made me feel welcome and made the whole 'introduction to a cycling club' much less intimidating than I feared it would be. I'm sure lots of people feel the same which helps Clifton feel like such a friendly, vibrant club (even the serious race division!).

The 'big job' is a bit too much for me at the moment but am happy to help as much as I can.

Martin