Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:46 pm
I thought I'd kick off a thread on here just to share a couple of links and see what stuff out there anyone else is making use of. Two interesting sites:-

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/0_home/home.htm - Lots of information (and opinion) for free, especially the factsheets. Very much based upon use of a power meter but still interesting stuff for the rest of us, even as memory-joggers. After reading his suggestions on warming-up I realised this was something I'd never taken seriously; I followed his suggestions at the Wakefield RR yesterday and had a MUCH happier first few laps than usual.

http://www.sykkeltrening.no/forum/dokum ... aining.pdf - a lengthy pdf on training with a power meter, but still interesting even if training with a HRM.

As many of you will know I've been following Joe Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible pretty much to the letter this year and have felt MUCH perkier as a result. The Garmin's been a wonderful training aid too, but I can see the advantages of this power meter malarky... ...maybe the year after next :wink:

by Iain M Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:00 pm
Yes, I would definitely recommend the Joe Friel book as well, even if it has (inevitably) a bit of a one-size-fits-all approach. He presents a very clear methodology for deriving a training plan, based on identifying Limiters and A, B, and C-priority races, and multiple levels of periodization. His training model is quite easy to understand: working on primary qualities (Endurance, Speed [fast cadence], and Force [leg strength]) during base-building, before moving on to secondary qualities (Muscular Endurance, Anaerobic Endurance, and Power), which are each a synthesis of two primary qualities, in the Build phase. The book contains loads of good sports-science-related content on all aspects of training, as well as tips on training for the over-40s. I think Friel gets the balance right in how he presents the content: detailed and informative but not overly academic.