Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:42 am
Cracking weather last night, although the low sun combined with tractors, horses, and lots of shouting made for a stressful bunch. My training-free month and week on French mountain roads caught up with me; forced onto the rutted LHS of the road on the exit from Kirby Misperton I was bounced down off the back of the bunch and by the time I caught back on I was doing unpleasant things over the verge. I suspect it would only have been a matter of time anyway - I wasn't the only one collecting my licence early. How'd everyone else do?
by mart66 Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 am
It did seem like a reduced peloton at the end. The first laps seemed to be very quick but that may have been because I didn't warm up for long enough.

Spent the first few laps at the back of the bunch. I've got to stop doing this as it's a right mess back there. I convinced myself that I was 'easing myself in' but in fact it's probably harder work. Long sprints out of the corners and having to close down gaps.

Got in an ok position on the last lap. Saw an Ilkley rider get through a gap on the outside as everyone was winding up for the sprint. He rode straight to the head of the (chasing) bunch. Tried to follow but was blocked by his club mate. Good blocking if it was deliberate but I think that'd be giving him too much credit.

Ended up sprinting in alongside AndyM for a place in the mid to low teens.

Thankful that the race went ahead as there were a few problems, but it all seemed pretty safe.

Martin