Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:07 am
Since I'm back racing after a fortnight of green stuff and fatigue, I'll kick this off!

Over to Barton on Humber for the Barton Wheelers Midsummer Old Blokes Race, along with AndyC, DaveC and MarkD - so representation in each of the age races. The C/D race was deceptively brisk; someone cleared off from the gun and there were enough strong lads that there was a constant succession of digs off the front separated by brief but welcome lulls. I settled down after a couple of laps of coughing fits and kept within sight of the sharp end so I could always make sure I was in the front half of any splits. On the second half of the final lap we came up behind the E/F/G/H race and in amongst the jostling I hit a b****y great pothole at the foot of a fast descent. Thought I'd got away with it and had just pulled past the older fellas in the first dozen of my lot when the front tyre went flat. Aaaargh - but at least it did so before the flat-out left hander leading into the run to the finish, and someone lent me a front wheel to ride back to HQ even before I'd clip-clopped to the finish line. 267W for 1hr15, and my legs felt better than they have done all season - I'm wondering if this training lark is all it's cracked up to be...
by mart66 Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:42 pm
VC Beverley RR for me as well as Rich, Damian, John, Tim and Muzzy.

The sun was shining, the roads were quiet and well maintained - this is what racing is all about!

A good course, too narrow in a few places especially the finishing straight, but good roads and enough lumps to keep it interesting.

After a few laps sizing things up I started to move up to the front and with 3 laps to go I latched onto a small group that had created a bit of a gap. After a descent and then a short climb I found myself away with a guy from Albarosa. We swapped a few turns before been joined by a couple of other guys. It felt like we were going well but after a few miles I realised that I was knackered and with around 20 miles to go I had no confidence that we'd stay away. I fell back into the bunch. The other three stayed away and got 1st and 2nd (the Albarosa guy got swamped on the line).

I think I could have stuck with them for longer but don't think I'd have gone the distance. It's the first time that I've got in a break so a good experience. Feels like I'm improving just very,very slowly!

Cheers

Martin
by DamianE Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 am
Whilst Martin was doing the sensible thing sizing the race up, I went from the gun. Unsurprisingly it only lasted a few miles by myself. First time through the finish I saw Jacob behind me and indicated I was about to attack. He came with me and we lasted a whole lap pretty much. I kept telling him we needed another 2-3 to get across but it wasn't to be. I must say I felt a bit jiggered after that and it took me an hour of dangling around the back to feel better. I got myself near the front on the long drag before the final climb but as seems always to be the case I guessed the wrong side of the bunch. I was sat there 4 from the front, right hand gutter on a little descent to final climb, then all of a sudden 15 people go kamikaze it down the left hand side into the final corner. Massive breaking and lost a few more places. It was narrow and there were people across the whole road making moving up impossible. Factor in then all the people cramping up and having to weave round them - I soon got fed up as I realised I wasn't making top 10. Hey ho, Thursday night is race night. Any volunteers for a 6 man lead out?! ;-)
by dave c Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:42 pm
LVRC Baron on Humber rr for me as Phil above. The efg race was fairly steady for the first 2 laps, one or two tried to get away but quickly brought back. About lap 5 one guy got away, nobody chased so I went on the front and pulled the pack round for a lap and pulled him back, not the thing to do but nobody came through and I enjoyed it!. 3 got away on the penultimate lap and I missed out, stayed with the bunch, more time on the front knowing the up hill finish wouldn't suit me. Enjoyed the race, except 2 guys came down in front of me in the sprint although didn't effect me too much.

Cheers

Dave