Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:11 pm
I'm going to be otherwise engaged, one way or another, for the next half-dozen or so Saturdays so rather than post a series of messages I'll just post this one and ask if each week one of the race / training ride regulars could choose a route and ensure (as far as possible) everyone gets round it safely. Clearly it's up to whoever shows up on the day to set the pace and tone of the ride but in the spirit of futile pleading I'll just suggest...

Most coaches reckon you should be doing a regular long endurance pace (ie not race-pace) ride, and...
You can still get out there individually and hammer yourselves, but if you can keep a group together you can have a group ride.

For anyone new to these rides be aware that everyone's at race fitness at the mo, so they probably won't be hanging around. Steady training rides will kick off again in the autumn - meanwhile there are all sorts of other Clifton Saturday rides.

Enjoy!
by mart66 Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:04 pm
I'll be out on Saturday as I've got a bit of a lull in my racing calendar at the moment.

I don't know about everyone else but I like to feel like I've worked pretty hard on these rides as I see them as a race substitute at this stage of the season.

Last week seemed to work ok - if you feel strong spend a longer time at the front and if you're struggling sit in or take short turns.

Martin
by WillK Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:06 pm
I will be out (unless the weather is biblical). Agree with Martin's comments regarding pace/effort.

Will
by mart66 Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:23 pm
Well the only route that I'm confident that I know completely is Malton. I'm open for suggestions though.

The weather looks rubbish but it does for the whole weekend.
by mart66 Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:07 pm
Just 4 brave souls in the square at 9am.

Tony headed off to do his own thing leaving me, Muzzy and Simon to head to Malton. We were quickly caught by RichardD and the 4 of us enjoyed a deceptively pleasant first hour.

Simon turned off around Buttercramb (smart man) and the 3 of us ploughed on. The heavens inevitably opened and we all got soaked. At one point, I know not where, the wind and rain was so bad that I felt like climbing off and hiding behind a bush for a while. I persevered and am glad I did.

We climbed to Uncleby and rode through Thixendale before heading back home. That climb to Uncleby is a beast! I didn't pace myself and was dying towards the end. No such problems for Richard as he swept past to take the Mountains points.

Nice ride back - 3 of us taking turns and keeping the pace up.

In the end I'm glad that I got out. Thanks for the ride guys.

Martin
by GrahamMartin Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:57 pm
Well done! Glad I decided to wimp out. Let's hope Rich can reproduce that feat on the north side of Malton on Thursday!
by nigelt Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:24 pm
In the end I opted for the Rivet ride with the Cycleworks gang (all 4 who turned up!) from the shelter at 9. Helmsley via Yearsley Bank, then out through Rievaulx and back via White Horse Bank. Persistent rain after Brandsby- we got absolutely drenched although the wind wasn't too bad in the valleys. Also glad to have got out although I was less glad to have to clean the bike again!