Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:40 am
I've kicked off a separate thread so this doesn't get muddled with Nigel's call for help on the same day.

In addition to Nigel's requirements for helpers at the afternoon BC race, I'll be needing some support for the morning LVRC (vets) race too. Race starts at 10:00, should be finished by very shortly after 12:00.

We will need:-

4 drivers (with cars) - don't need to be BC (or LVRC) members
I have Cam, Melly, Andy Tannahill and Muzzy, so we're okay!

6 marshals - for the Traffic Management junctions plus a couple of other potentially exciting spots
Currently have Craig, Andy M, Graham and Dave I; not sure if any of Nigel's other volunteers are up for the morning too, so need two more names please!

Cath M has once again stepped up to run the catering operation - she'd really, really appreciate some help with this though. Proceeds go to charity (usually the air ambulance) so you're helping not just one, but two good causes! My daughter is fleeing the country so I'll need a bit of general help with signing-on and at the finish line too.

I'd be really grateful if all the Clifton riders doing the afternoon BC race could help out with the morning one - (and I'm sure Nigel would appreciate the reverse arrangement). Beyond that - come on folks, turn up and enjoy. Helping at these events is usually fun, and with vets racing you have the added thrill of seeing seventy-somethings hammering around at ridiculous speeds with a number on their back. It is, frankly, good for the soul. Form an orderly queue, please - post on here or email me if you can take on a job.
by PhilBixby Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 am
Okay folks - two weeks to go and my deep joy at missing a succession of races due to a stinking and neverending cold is topped up by still being two drivers short and having the vague possibility of having to cancel the whole shebang hanging over me. So I'm bumping this back to the top and have highlighted in my original post the relevant bit. A couple of hours or so peaceful driving in front of the race, with expenses paid. Please.
by nigelt Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:55 am
Phil, although I'd rather not, if you think it's manageable, I would be willing to drive for the vets as long as someone (your daughter, for example) could cover the sign-on for the BC race until I'm back?
by PhilBixby Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:19 pm
Cheers Nigel but daughter is inconveniently in Turin; I know Cath's done great work in helping with signing-on in the past but you really need to be there to pick up any queries / problems on the run-up to your race. Since the club is currently endowed with nearly four hundred members, I'm kind of hoping someone else will stick their hands up!
by PhilBixby Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:14 pm
Good man, Cam - whatever reward in heaven you forfeit as a result, I'll ensure is more than compensated by cake. Although maybe leave it until after you've done the BC race!

Thanks Graham - have got you down for marshalling one of the exciting parts of the circuit and would like to keep you there since you know how to fix an approaching car driver with a steely stare.

One more driver! C'mon people! We're nearly there!
by PhilBixby Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 pm
Hurrah! Hurrah for Andy Tannahill who is now driver number four. I've got a couple of offers of help marshalling bubbling away too, so it looks like we're up to the full team for the day now. Many, many thanks to everyone who's going to be there.
by Melly Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:37 pm
Unbelievable that from a club membership of 400 people we struggle to get 4 cars and 15ish volunteers to host a great days racing, that the club can be nothing but proud off, well done Phil and Nigel for persevering :?
by PhilBixby Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 pm
One of my volunteer marshals has had an emergency crop up - so, still two vacancies then for someone to pair up with a Traffic Management person and control traffic with a nice bossy sign. C'mon, I've booked sunshine so you can work on your tan at the same time...
by PhilBixby Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:47 pm
No PM arrived yet Tim but (hear this everybody) I really don't want vets having to give up rides in the vets race because no-one else will stick their hand up to help out. C'mon people - it's a couple of hours and a grandstand view of a tough cycle race! You'll be out there watching bloomin' Chris Froome a week later! These are the local heroes!
by PhilBixby Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:27 pm
Just a quickie re arrangements:- Please can I have drivers and marshals at Sheriff Hutton village hall for around 9:15 on Sunday? This will give time for drivers' briefing / getting roof signage fitted / pairing marshals up with the right TM fellas. Many thanks to you all - without you the race wouldn't be happening.

I could still do with (i) one more marshall to help keep things safe on the approach to Stillington, and (ii) people at the finish to help record numbers. So if you've not signed up yet, there's still time to avoid missing out! :D