Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by GrahamMartin Fri May 16, 2014 11:25 am
The results and standings are up here: http://wp.me/p4eMhr-2H (though WordPress appear to be struggling right now).

For the first time this season I felt like I was getting into my stride, despite spending too much time down the back. I was about to reach for my half-way gel and then the Ambulance responder car appeared. By the time it had gotten in the middle of the bunch it was pretty much game over. Ex-Uni team Neil made it back on, but I lost his wheel and I had to conclude that a 3 lap TT awaited me.

The emerging consensus appears to be "great circuit, terrible place for a finish line" - though on the night it was actually fine. Still, try that on a Sunny Sunday with bikers everywhere. Glad everyone negotiated Kelfield OK from what I heard.

On a general series-note: we excluded Sharpy for getting to 2nd Cat, but apparently last night's winner and the new series leader is also a 2nd Cat now. What happens next? Does he still get series points even if he doesn't get BC points (like with day license riders)? With 8 races, the potential for riders to rack up 80 or even 100 points exists, taking them a long way past the bounds of BC rules.
by Sharpy Fri May 16, 2014 11:46 am
Not sure why I have been excluded from anything for being a 2nd Cat, I am a 3rd Cat. :)

Was a good race, the issue i had was the road to the finish straight was too narrow for the lat lap the finish should have been on the way into Kelfield and it would have been safer.

Clifton out in force and looking strong good work guys.

:)
by DamianE Fri May 16, 2014 11:57 am
8th in the end, thought I was higher up but hey ho. Poor guy ditched on on the final left hander causing me to brake and swerve quite a bit so lost too much ground. Must get braver and start these sprints in top 5 not top 10. Had a great attack right from the gun and as expected the bunch thought I was mad and let me go. 2 others joined and we were doing great until that tractor. Probably wouldn't have stayed away the whole race but once you're out of sight anything can happen. Onto the next one. Attack. Attack. Attack!!!! :twisted:
by PhilBixby Fri May 16, 2014 12:42 pm
Full marks to Damian for having a go - and Tim looked to be spending plenty of time up front too, as ever. It was pretty quick (just under 26mph) and particularly so on the downhill/downwind section heading to Kelfield. As noted above, the run along the lane to the final left-hander got waaaay too exciting - with Martin Vesty getting most of his front wheel spokes removed - though it really shouldn't have been as the road wasn't that narrow. I just followed the serious ones past the fallers and rolled over the line in the company of Tim and RichD. 254W NP.
by GrahamMartin Fri May 16, 2014 1:10 pm
Please excuse my confusion regarding the abundance of Sharpy's! I was referring to Cycleworks RT's star rider.

I think the longish straight before the rise to Stillingfleet would have been ideal for the finish.

What a pity the tractor didn't cut in after the break. Would have been exciting trying to pull you guys back!
by mart66 Fri May 16, 2014 1:20 pm
The circuit was ok I thought. For the most part there was room to move around and the need to get into a good position before going through Kelfield made it interesting. Having the finish so close to the only corner was a bit risky maybe.

There was only the narrow section coming out of Kelfield that was frustrating as there was no room for anyone to get out but I reckon that nearly all of the Wheldrake circuit is like that.

Enjoyed the race and managed to get involved at the front now and again. I had too much belief in my own strength at one point and thought I could bridge up to two lone escapees - got stuck in no-man's land for a while!

Under instruction from Damain, i tried to get to the front for the corner on the final lap. Unfortunately, I went a bit (a lot) too early and ended up leading the whole pack through and out of Kelfield. In hindsight I wish I'd have just nailed it at that point and tried to string it out but I was a bit too cautious.

Good show from the Clifton guys.

Graham, it was Jamie Sharpe that was excluded from the first race. The reason being that he was a reserve, not actually accepted as entry. He then became a 2nd Cat before I'd had any drop-outs. So if I put him in as a reserve I was have been entering him knowing that he was already a 2nd. If he'd entered in time and got on the start list when he was a 3rd he would have been able to race. I think if Lewis Jackson has entered all the events when he was a 3rd he's ok to ride them. Must admit I'm not sure if this is strictly correct but seems logical.

Cheers

Martin
by JohnS Fri May 16, 2014 9:26 pm
Well done last night all.

Good race which had a few hairy moments, especially on the last lap.

Disappointed with my sprint in the end. Was well positioned up the little rise to the last corner but the guy in front managed to come down right in front of me. Managed to go round but had lost the wheels. Damian came past at a rate of knots and I reacted too slow. Managed to wind it up for the last 100 meters but looking at the photos was too little too late and came in 11th or 12th. Frustrating, but lesson learnt!

Still good evenings entertainment.

John