Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by DamianE Wed May 07, 2014 10:13 am
Another race, another complication before the off. I saw from the race manual it was 7 laps. I pointed out at the sign on that there was no way we were doing 7 laps of Milby before my bedtime so off they set to find how far it was round! In the end they went for 4 laps which was a fair distance but we finished in the daylight at least.

Again the 3rd cat group was pretty organised but it didn't stop us getting caught this time. Think it about the 3rd lap that some of the Elites cranked it up and it was strung out for several miles. I think a few people will have found that hard, I know I did!

Last lap or so was spent at the back trying not to puke the ill advised baked beans on toast as I left home but good training anyway. Must say, that finish line with 2 sharp turns in the last 400m is 'interesting'.

John was in my group but I don't think he was in the points as a good size group had got away on the last lap.

A 3/4 race at the weekend, so that's got to be 'easier' than these 2/3 and Elite things right....
by PhilBixby Wed May 07, 2014 2:39 pm
Well, both you and John did better than me... :roll:

First group complete shambles as usual; strung out with a few attempts at collective working stymied by riders getting on the front and simply cranking it up. Was about tenth wheel as we pulled out of Cundall into the blind, narrow left-hander where we met an oncoming, and about to become stationary, car. Sadly instead of breathing in and keeping the pace up, the riders in front of me hit the brakes. By the time I'd fully appreciated this I was either going into the back of the rider in front or would have to make other plans. I aimed for the hedge on the far side of the road and would have slotted into this nicely if the front wheel hadn't gorn down a hole, pitching me over the bars and lifting the back wheel up, where it came down on the wing of the car. 29mph to zero in seven seconds, according to the black box. Extracated self, stared at shoes, gave apologies and contact details for the scratch inflicted. Pedalled back to the finish and watched the last couple of laps. Seeing the bunch coming through the final S-bends, with Giles Pidcock dipping his right shoulder under the wing mirror of the black Mercedes which had stopped there, convinced me that some people have a much more direct hotline to him upstairs.

Ah well. Saxton. Bring it on.
by Melly Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 pm
Sorry to spoil the party DamienE but Giles made a last minute change again, you actually did Five laps :twisted:
by JohnS Wed May 07, 2014 4:20 pm
Good race again last night. After 7 races in the last 10 days I was a little fatigued going into it. The first 5 minutes were horrible. As usual the chasing 3rd cats set-off like a pack of scalded cats at 30 mph plus :shock: After the first 2 rotations I was struggling to hold the wheel in front and I seriously thought about sitting up! But I dug in and the legs responded and thank goodness I started to recover.

A decent effort at staying away but our group didn't work as smoothly as last week. It always seems a mixed blessing when we are caught on these events. The pace ramps up, but it's easier to sit in and follow the wheels of the fast lads. The next few laps seemed very fast but I was pleased after my earlier wobble I felt good in the bunch.

A group of about 6 got away (mainly the elites) so knew it was going to be difficult to get anything from the sprint. You really have to coming out of the last corner in the top 5. I lost a few places before the first corner as the guy in front switched across and the car on the final bend didn't help and I left myself too much to do. What I was pleased about was I caught the leaders in the last 200 yards but was just outside the minor placings.

45 miles at a smidge under 27 mph again. Not bad for a Tuesday night.

I'm off for a few days rest now!

Best regards

John
by timj Wed May 07, 2014 4:22 pm
Same group as damiien and John.Found the pace ok and was actually enjoying the injection when the other group caught us it actually got easier as u did not go to the front.Lesson 1.Do not go with a strong attack then when u r brought back don't do it again.!straight after again the three of us had got caught thebunch shot through like a steam train.Held on just but they stepped on it again not giving me any chance to recover.Got bombed out with a lap left .Enjoyed the race even if i maybe should have used my head a little more.Good fun.well done all.
by GrahamMartin Thu May 08, 2014 4:03 pm
I was in Phil's group. Two guys went ahead and shot up the road - I just ignored them and set what I thought was a strong pace. Another rider came up and slotted onto the front, as did a few more. I spotted my moment, switched to the outside, and began moving forwards again, pulled over and... that was about the point when organisation ended. Anyhow, we got round to the Cundall side of the circuit and then suddenly the car happened. A moment of horror as Phil disappeared, then smashing it to get back to the bunch - except we ended up as two bunches. I struggled to settle into group 2, and got dropped just after the finish line. The 3rd group caught me on the climb at the eastern end, which made 'sitting in' near impossible. I then spent the next lap and a half with up to 4 fellow riders taking turns to drag the 'autobus' towards the finish. Came round the final junction-turn and realised I had a rear flat - and no sooner had I got off and begun walking than Phil appeared in the car! 40.8kph for an hour. All looking good for next week's flat (baring 50 meters) Thursday race.