Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 pm
Went over to Braithwell on Sun for a 2/3/4 race on a course with a long drag and a steep ramp up to it.A fast down hill with a roundabout leading to the climb and an exposed stretch with cross winds leading to the finish line.A fast !start with line out for almost all of the first 2 laps until the expected break went away,Cam trying to join in but just could not make it The break,getting 2 plus mins by the end.The pace stayed high and positioning at the top of the climb was key to me as the cross wind at the top meant a big effort to close the gap if badly positioned.This was the most difficult of the course as the climb was pretty quick it was into the wind so u could get shelter if needed.John s looked pretty solid inthe bunch and had a decent go in the bunch sprint and Cam looked like he was getting frustrated at being run down every time he had a dig.Myself i was satisfied with my race as it takes me a few to get in the swing .Felt good though .A few lap times.LAP 1 25MPH INCLUDING RIDE OUT) LAP3 25.6MPH LAP 7 24.8MPH , AV 24.9MPH for race so not hanging about.Good fun!
by JohnS Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 pm
Joined Tim and Cam on Sunday for the Out of The Saddle Spring RR T Braithwell. Fast race on a tough course that had a long climb and a tough cross wind to the finish. 8 laps of a 10km course. First 2 laps were pretty chaotic until a small group got away. First 2/3/4 race of the season and a bit nervous of the the distance and the climb i was happy to let a few attack off the front early doors. However they formed a handy little group and Stayed away. Difference between 2/3/4 and 3/4 races seem to be that a break usually seems to go away early in the 2/3/4 and not get caught.

No organised chase but plenty of follow up attacks which kept the pace high. Started to feel the climb on lap 3 and had a little confidence wobble but a gel on lap 4 settled everything down. With 3 laps to go thought "great I can finish this".

By the last lap felt fine and made a decent fist of the sprint. I always seem to over estimate the number in the break. Turns out there were still 4 places going begging which I just missed out on!

Overall pleased with the result. Felt pretty good with more in my legs at the end than I thought! Just need to step up a little next time!