Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:15 pm
Well, having had my entry to Saturday's Derek Smith vets race returned due to a full field (first time ever for a vets race!) I'll be unexpectedly out on the training ride. Given that a fair few of us will be at Bishopwood next Tuesday, and at Sheriff/Stillington next Thursday, how about giving Escrick another three-laps-worth to get those gaps between wheels nice and tight? 9:00am from the square; synchronise powermeters and then off in two groups...
by PhilBixby Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:33 pm
Probably worth noting that tomorrow's weather forecast is for heavy rain and freshening winds. This may not be the best conditions for fast laps in a tight group. I suggest (i) considering which bit of the weekend may be best for a ride and (ii) if you simply must get out tomorrow morning, decide at the time where to go / what to do. I won't be out if it's heaving down - I'd rather do something deeply unpleasant on the turbo!
by AndyM Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:44 pm
Seven guys braved the wet and wind this morning, a mix of 8:45ers and 9am regulars. After a short discussion we were bound for Malton, the joint belief being that some hills would keep us warm. On Stockton Lane the group split into two with four 8:45ers heading for Malton and back via Thixendale I believe (hope you had a good ride guys!), and Liam, Martin and self for the more traditional 9am training loop.

I think the three of us all knew this was going to be a hard ride, and we weren't wrong. We made good progress to Malton, and the weather was fairly kind to us to be honest. I got a little carried away on the drag out of Malton (we averaged over 18mph up there albeit with a lovely tailwind), and by then I think we were all hurting. We stayed together fairly well until Liam ordered Martin and I to press on without him just before Terrington - hope you got back okay Liam!

Martin and I flew up through Terrington to the top of the bank and down the other side, where we both agreed that there was no need to add in a lap of the circuit. We swapped turns all the way back into York with only the hill into Sheriff to break the rhythm (which especially hurt!). Martin was riding really strong, especially up some of those climbs, and I really enjoyed the ride.

Just a shave under 20.5mph average for the out-of-town 2hrs 6mins, and 292W NP.

Thanks chaps! :)

Hope everyone else enjoyed the indoor turbo fun and let us know how the racing went at York Sport :)