Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 pm
Went across to the Phillip Russell mem RR at Stoksley on a dry but exposed and windy day.Expectations were not high after having not trained all week due to illness .This course has a longish drag up to the exposed top with a cross wind with the rest of it being rolling..55 MILES .Attacks started from the off and i tried to get away on the climb but everything was brought back.Felt alot better than expected and stayed near the front for most of the race except when it mattered.The last lap was pretty hairy and i went into the last corner about 20th so not ideal with the finish half way up the climb.Got up a few places but just outside top 10.Really annoyed that i was not better placed into last corner but some risks are not worth it and finished a couple of seconds behind .cheers .Hope everyone else finished ok.
by AndyM Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:41 pm
Good job Tim!

4 Clifonites at North Newbald today for the Hull Thursday Keith Carter RR, 54 miles around a windy North Newbald circuit. DamianE, Mart, Sharpy (albeit in his other guise as a York Cycleworks Race Team rider) and self took the start. We were very lucky to have a tail wind up the finishing climb - bet it's a slog with a headwind up there! This didn't make it easy though, far from it, and I was really struggling up there each lap.

Bunch seemed altogether very chilled out which was nice compared to the 2/3/4 at Bishopwood the other week. Got away briefly for 1/3 of lap 2 before we were caught again. but 5 guys managed to get away a lap later. Sharpy then put in a monster of a turn at the end of lap 3, stringing out the bunch completely for the entire back end of the circuit, super impressive stuff.

At the end of lap 4 a few guys then went super hard up the climb, 8 guys going clear and I had to dig deep to bridge the gap but made it across. Luckily was the last man to do so, putting me in a break of 9 with 2 laps to go. Group worked well mostly but were a little scrappy at times, and we eventually caught two of the guys up the road. I think I paid for my earlier efforts and when it came to the final ascent to the finish I didn't have the legs to stay with them unfortunately. So I came in I think 14th, a few seconds behind the rest of the group. Maybe could've dug deeper, or maybe if I'd had a gel with 6km to go that would've helped but nevermind, still happy to make the selection and I think a job well done. :)

310W NP for 2hr 15mins. So that's why it hurt then :shock:
by Sharpy Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:59 pm
When I rolled up behind the neutralised car I was already feeling this was not the race for me, but I want to do some hilly stuff, its not all about the big power flat circuits, sometimes you can have more fun at the races that do not suit.

I was dropped off the back at the start of lap 3, worked hard to get back on and thought that if I can put some pain into the pack on the way back I might fair better.

However this was my downfall, on the start of lap 4 the legs went pop (I am firmly blaming the build up which included a 10m TT, CG and hill repeat session), but I was pleased with my efforts and will be a bit better in my preparation next time I race a hilly one.

Agree the bunch was very good, not much to write home about, all I saw was one chap climbing out of a ditch after running wide.

Andy, you were looking very good out there today! Well done!

Cheers

Sharpy