Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 pm
Well, after a few weeks of laps of circuits, how about a bit of variety this week and the westwards route. Skip the detour around Bishopwood on the return but do a lap and a half of the Kelfield circuit so you all know where you're going on the NYERRL event there. Steady on the way out, regroup as necessary after the lumpy bits, and then wind it up from Sherburn onwards. Two groups - biscuit and brownies - 9am in the square!
by PhilBixby Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:57 pm
I suspect a lot of the regulars had their carpet-slippered feet up this morning in preparation for greater efforts tomorrow, so we had about a dozen lining up under grey skies. A breezy day, so it seemed sensible to stick to one group (chocolate biscuits? Jaffa cakes?) and just take short turns to keep it moving. Which it did; 233W and 21mph for the out-of-town two hours thirty - which doesn't sound that quick but we'd shed a couple before arriving at Kelfield, and I waved bye-bye to the bunch just before they peeled off the circuit and back onto the return route to York and I think there were only five or six still there. Good riding, and it didn't rain!
by WillK Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:00 pm
Having felt a little off colour for the last few days the lack of zipp in my legs confirmed my doubts about doing this ride. It felt really hard all the way even with strong tailwind heading back. Elected to opt out of the last lap at Stillingfleet, conscious of the 'Phil Graves Show' taking over :!:
by nigelt Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:41 pm
I haven't been feeling off-colour and still found that hard! The sections from Thorner to Sherburn & Sherburn to Cawood were pretty fast and even with the tailwind the speeds meant there was little chance of me coming through- chapeau to those who were.

I have the section from Sherburn to Cawood at an average of 46 kph so we certainly weren't hanging around :shock:

Not sure I'm too happy about my chances at Scotton tomorrow after today, but thanks everyone for a top ride today :D

See you next Saturday for more of the same...
by GrahamMartin Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:43 pm
Having basically produced a 'race effort' on Thursday night*, attempting to survive in yesterday's wind was optimistic. Struggled my way round the Barwick in Elmet and dropped off, then rode in with John Mc... I apologise for lack of memory of names. We ended up taking a short-cut home by accident, and split in Tadcaster - I took the Oxton turning and he headed for the A64 cycle path.

I was happy to discover that I was ticking over 160-165bpm and 32-35kph all the way to Southbank before stopping the clock and pootling over Millenium Bridge. It was good to get my legs going over a bit of a longer distance, as I've basically been doing 60km dashes for two weeks. Planning more 100k rides and skipping Tuesday night for me, I think. Will come and cheer at the circuit if any of you are in action.

* This refers to the Cycleworks chaingang, with Jamie Sharp ploughing along on the front of the group and myself only getting dropped within the last kilometer of crap road on the B1228. I wasn't even the first to drop. Next week I shall try to arrive back at the traffic lights in the bunch!