Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:28 am
Old blokes' racing over at Barton on Humber for me, along with JohnS, AndyC, DaveC, Muzzy and race returnee Mark. Always a hard circuit, especially on a breezy day, and the lottery of handicapping means I always go in with no expectations. This year - newly promoted to the 55-59yo D group - three blokes fairly quickly split the group up and cleared off, the remains getting swiftly passed by the speeding C group and then slotting in with Muzzy & co in the B group. Stayed there until about a lap and a half to go when digs off the front by John and Mark left me having a dig off the back, any remaining satisfaction coming from picking off other backmarkers on the way to the line.

One hour fifteen at 262W NP (not a lot below what I'm currently struggling to put out for a 20min interval, so it's not like I wasn't trying) and over 300W for the first ten minutes. Strangely good fun though, and combined with an outward journey which included identifying the owner of an electricity pylon, doing a measured survey of an alleyway, and checking the nailing pattern on a timber-framed house, it was a good day. :)
by dave c Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:55 pm
Also did the Aussie Pursuit. Set off in the E group with 7 others, 2 went up the road straight from the go which left 6 of us with 3 of us doing most of the work. On the 5th lap after been in front I lost the tow up to the finish line and couldn't get back on. Did another lap and then called it a day. Hope to do better next time!

Cheers Dave
by RichardD Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:59 pm
Cam and I lined up for the 234 at Nidderdale. The rain held off and the wind picked up as the race went on, so better than forecast. This felt like a hard race. Big descent down Dacre Bank and quite a lot of climbing to the faster flat section. The hurt was on immediately and did not stop. The break went on the second lap and then settled down for 4 hard laps in an unorganised chasing group including Cam. The break must have split up a bit, as we picked up a few on route, lost a few, and one got away from us late on. Not sure about finishing position as plenty packed and there were 1's and 2's still finishing after getting changed near the finish. I think Cam and I both thought we earned a cup of tea at HQ. Thanks to JohnS and Mike shouting encouragement on route.
For me the descent was the problem, where I was not comfortable. A cross wind as we hit just under 50mph near the pub caused a few minor wobbles, but other than that the event seemed very safe. 2h20min at 290W NP. The break occurred after 7 minutes at 340W, so no complaints there. As I overheard at the start. 'The problem with this sport is, you have to train very hard, just to be s**t.' But we still come back for more! Not around for the next few weekends so will see everyone at Chevin 1. Good luck to those racing at Newbald next week.
by Cam B Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:08 pm
Would agree with Richard’s comments. Not the longest race I have done (it was only about 40 odd miles) and probably one of the slowest but definitely one of the hardest. Circuit of 2 halves really – one half grovelling up hill and dealing with the wind and the other just... really fast. Approached the race with a little trepidation. Busy week for me in clearing out the attic and decorating (having a sedentary job I’m not used to physical graft!)....’Life’ does get in the way of riding your bike doesn’t it :wink: . The weather report looked pretty horrible as well. At least it didn’t rain but the wind was challenging in itself. (Very) Optimistically thinking that Richard and I came around 20 - 25th so very much in the also-rans. Good “sporting” course though... and would give it another go next season. It certainly sorted out the “wheat from the chaff”....and it looks like I am “chaff” at the moment :? . More work to do...just need to find another 50 watts from somewhere...It’s only a light bulbs worth after all!