Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 am
Well, I was intending posting a suggested route (out to the Sheriff-Stillington circuit and three laps) but bumped into Dave Cook at last night's club committee meeting, where he said "See you at Barton on Saturday". Which was useful, as I'd put the race in my diary on the wrong day and the start sheet was hiding in my Junk Mail folder. So I'll see Dave but not the rest of you - can someone take charge, choose a route, and ensure it all goes smoothly please? Ta!
by mart66 Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 pm
Sounds like a good route to me.

Straight up Haxby Rd, Strensall , Sheriff - then 3 laps?

We were a bit low on numbers last week due to the Seacroft race. Not sure how may people have entered the Nidderdale one. We'll see on Saturday I guess.

Martin
by Sharpy Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 pm
May try and get out, would have been better if it was bishopwood as I still very much in recovery, but try and come along. :D
by mart66 Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 am
It'll be like a recovery ride for you Sharpy, I'm sure :D

The circuit is good prep. for anyone doing the Walkington race on 13th I reckon. The drag into Sheriff is quite like the one out of Walkington.
by Fiona Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 pm
Sorry for the thread hijack but i'm thinking of doing the women's race at Walkington and it'd be really helpful to know the route beforehand. Does anyone have a link/description of the course please?
by timj Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:20 pm
Should be there this week .It seems like a good circuit for training on.Just have to watch the pot holes on the flat ten.
by nigelt Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:12 am
I plan to be out. Might jump on at Haxby seeing as you're heading this way. You still planning on riding straight up Haxby Rd Martin? If so I'll wait outside Haxby cycles
by Sharpy Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:00 pm
I will be out i think, planning on 2 laps, been doing a bit mire but don't want to overdo it and put the recovery back.
by WillK Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:27 pm
I will be out. Route sounds good bit more interesting than Bishopwood!

Will
by nigelt Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:52 pm
I counted 11 of us this morning for the 3 laps of the Sheriff race circuit. We rode as 1 group until Sheriff and then split into 2 groups, with Damien acting as DS for team 'biscuit' and me DS'ing for the second group- perhaps we should be called the 'wafer' group as we're not quite up to the biscuits' standard (yet...)?

The biscuit 6 headed off and my gang of 5 wafers followed shortly after. Our group worked well together for the first lap and a half and then reduced to 4. We picked Liam up at the start of lap 3 and continued to work well, until Stillington, that is!

Unfortunately a shower during lap 2 had left the the roads damp and greasy, and despite easing off on the corners, as we negotiated the right-hander just before Stillington, John Mc went down at the front of the group, leaving me with nowhere to go except straight over the top of him :shock:

John was battered and scraped in a few places and I smacked both of my knees pretty hard, but we both got off pretty lightly, considering.

After picking ourselves up and checking the bikes (which, as was pointed out several times, was the most important issue :lol: ) we restarted and continued the third lap, however by the time we reached Sheriff Hutton Bridge for the third time I started going backwards and finished a good few hundred metres behind the others.

I guess they then continued on for another loop. I turned round and headed home at a very steady pace.

Great work by our group with tidy through and off on the lumpy part of the circuit and Muzzy's patented line-out on the flat 10 which worked very nicely.

I have the three laps at an average of 21mph. Happy with that given the lumps, the wind (especially from Stillington to Moxby Lane) and the small group size.

This suggestion was excellent, and I believe that it is probably more beneficial for building race fitness (other than by racing) than any of the flat circuits we've been doing. I don't climb well at the best of times, and tackling the drags on this circuit at something approaching race pace can only do me good.

It's also a really good suggestion as it gives me an extra half hour in bed :wink:

How did the biscuits fare?
by WillK Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:41 pm
Biscuit group fared well thanks Nigel. 6 to start - me, Tim J, Martin, Duncan, Liam and Damien. Felt very brisk (perhaps too brisk) for the first half lap before we settled into a more sensible pace but unfortunately not before we had lost Liam. Worked well as a group with some sensible calls from Tim and reversing the rotation in the cross wind on the flat 10 section. Surprisingly wet in parts too so we sensibly tip-toed round the bends (sorry to hear about John Mc's spill). Lost Tim on the last lap so 4 of us worked hard to complete a really good ride. Not sure of the Stats but felt quick for that course and the conditions. Entirely endorse Nigel's comments about the route - most certainly far better training and infinitely more enjoyable than the flatter circuits. Thanks all and enjoy Flanders tomorrow!