Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by chester56 Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 pm
Let's continue the racing prep. theme with a return trip to Bishopwood with the same routine as the last two weeks. 9am prompt in the Square as usual
by DamianE Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:18 pm
Turned up this morning, best bike, little bit of leg showing for the promised sunshine. It has only just come out now we're home. Very disappointing. Andy nominated me as Directeur Sportif for the day, I presumed based on looks and cycling ability. I was somewhat disappointed later on to find out it was cos I turned up last. Anyway 6 (Andy, Martin, Will, Liam and 'Eds wheels') set off, quickly picking up Richard on the way out of the square. Nice ride out to the circuit with what felt like a tailwind and then onto circuit. I gave my best rousing speech and off we went. 6 laps planned and for the first 2 laps everyone was doing well but then somewhere on the 3rd lap Richard and 'Eds wheels' were distanced. With 2 laps to go I took an opportunity for a drink through the start/finish just at the same time as hitting a big hole. Bottle was dropped by which time I was on the grass. Prayed there wasn't a hole under the long grass and fortunately came to a halt safe and sound. By the time I'd gone and found the bottle the 4 ahead had a good gap. I held them for about 3 miles (turns out they were waiting, so that was embarrassing that I couldn't catch them!!!) before stopping and turning round. By the time I saw the group again Martin and Will were going like a train and I struggled to do an occasional turn. Martin attacked into the last bend and held us off for his first win of the season. :P Only the 3rd ride in March for me so I struggled a bit, especially on the way home into that wind. Good sensible riding and hope to be out next week. Garmin says we averaged just under 23mph so not bad.