Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:51 pm
Forecast looks a bit mixed but it often does a few days off these days - could be glorious on the day. Suggest eastwards (Malton / Terrington) for some final hills before a couple of Saturdays of faster laps at Bishopwood and Escrick. Does that sound okay? 9am in the Square!
by Thomas Dickinson Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:38 am
Hi all,
I'm a new member and am looking to go on this training ride as my first with the club.
Where is the square we are meeting and roughly how many miles is this route?
Thanks, Thomas.
by PhilBixby Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 am
Hi Thomas

Apologies for the shorthand on the original posting - I'd assumed (wrongly) we'd settled into a pool of "regulars" for these rides!

Departure is from Exhibition Square (in front of the Art Gallery). We'll normally sort into two or three groups slightly vaguely labelled "steadier" to "brisker". Even at the steadier end these are very much training rides - they're aimed at people who are intending racing, and the split into groups is simply to cope with variations in ability ("brisker" is 2nd/3rd cats or above, "steadier" generally 4th cats).

The route will be as helpfully posted a while back by AndyT - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/431639176 - just under 60 miles so around 3hrs. I've no idea of your speed/ability so I'll simply suggest (as I do to all newcomers) making sure you know where the route goes and how to get home if you do find yourself off the back - at this stage in the winter the group will stop if someone has a puncture/mechanical but not if anyone simply disappears out the back!

See you on Saturday - I'm the old bloke on the muddy Cervelo.
by Thomas Dickinson Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:41 pm
Thanks for the info. I've done a lot of this route before so I'm pretty familiar of how to get home on it.
I've been on a couple of the open nights at York Sport track and although it's different from riding on the road, I can deal with the pace set by the "steadier" group.
I'm looking at getting into racing this year so we'll see how I fare on Saturday. Looking forward to it! See you all there.
Looking forward to it.
by PhilBixby Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:44 pm
Another big turnout this morning; balmy enough for a peep of leg here and there despite the grey skies. The suggested three groups boiled down to two when the four of us left in the "steady" group looked at each other, thought "stuff this", and joined AndyM's "brisker" group. This bumped the numbers into slightly road-crowding territory but a natural split took place on the ascent of Gally Gap with ten of us pulling clear. Under the traditional verbal command of Tim we stuck together all the way round, with short turns on the front putting us within a sniff of the "biscuit" group at one point, and indeed we caught the stragglers after the final fast fling around the Sheriff/Stillington circuit. A very good ride - 231W NP and 19.6mph, on a lumpy ride and a breezy day. Many thanks to all.

To reassure the sensitive, I shall be mainly washing my bike this afternoon (albeit prior to shifting the cranks onto the summer bike and hanging up the S2 for a few months) - I was asked this morning whether I was growing potatoes on it. Cruel!

Next week - Bishopwood! Flat out! Be there!
by Cam B Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:09 pm
Ditched the custard creams in favour of a "Kellogg's Fruity Breakfast bar" this morning. Not technically a biscuit I know and this transgression is unlikely to go down well with the other Biscuiteers. 8 or 9 of us in the group this morning. Good challenging ride as always round this route. Kieran had a bit of a spill just as we turned left onto the Sheriff/Stillington circuit. No major harm done...Hope you're ok Kieran. That stretch of road was pretty tough and the one line we adopted got pretty fragmented at that point. Wind was blowing right to left and we struggled to hold wheels. Forming an echelon is unlikely to go down with fellow road users but have been reflecting whether we should have reverted to 2 lines (but rolling thru quite steady) at that point to keep the group together. Four of us kept pressing on all the way back and my legs are telling me that it was a good training ride. In spite of his crash Kieran still looking strong as was Duncan and Nick.
by AndyT Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:21 pm
Great ride in the 2nd group until the lights fully went out just short of Castle Howard :roll:

20.3mph & 245w NP for my out of town section-not hanging around for a fairly lumpy & draggy section..
by timj Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:31 pm
Great ride today and a brisk one too added to the fact the wind was blowing. We seemed to fly around to malton loosing a few to selection on the way .Some decent through and off on the rr circuit with a right shoulder /head wind finishing with a strong break from Pete and Andy M,just managing to hold and eventually rolling into haxby with another few training miles in the legs at training pace.Andy M looking smooth with that cadence .Cant wait for BISH should be fun. :roll:good ride cheers Timj
by Cyan Skymoos Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:29 pm
Kieran is fine thanks Cam. Just a few grazes, all part of the learning curve. Thanks for looking out for him, his Dad appreciates it.