Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 pm
Northwards! There's enough discussion going on in the next thread down for everyone to know vaguely what we'll be doing, so just be there! 9:00 in the square; two or three groups as appropriate.

PS:- Rear mudguard has just eaten itself! Sorry folks!
by PhilBixby Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:24 pm
...and a further apology about that missing mudguard - I was expecting dry roads!

Seven of us out in the "steadier" group, which worked sufficiently well together to keep the brisker group in sight until just before Boroughbridge. Heeding The Word Of Muzzy we rotated this way and that depending on wind direction and generally kept the WTF moments down to a minimum. A pause after Milby while Tim fixed a flat, and then onwards. I think we all felt we'd had our money's worth by the time we rolled back into town. I made it 19.8mph and 211W NP for the out-of-town 2hrs45. Many thanks to all.
by Cam B Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:43 pm
8 or 9 set off in the brisker group today. An impromptu call was made to line out and up the pace on the A168. Seemed an opportune time to work in 1 pace line (as discussed on the other thread). Took a little while to get organised there and group fragmented little before we got sorted. Unfortunately we had one or two drop off the pace. Apologies to those guys. We should have made it clearer what we were doing. The idea of the line is not to drop people but to all work together and try and mimic what you might do in a break. We were never going to ride at that pace all the way back to York and were always going to regroup after B’bride. I am glossing over the details here about what else happened since – personally – I don’t think this public forum is the best place to air views on that subject..... Anyway, all good training....racing season just round the corner :)
by Dr Dave Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:03 pm
Found today a lot harder than 2 weeks ago although Phil's SRM says he used a few less watts. Had to really dig in to last the distance. Thanks for the company everyone. Perhaps I should get 2 metal knees - seems you go fast with them!
Last edited by Dr Dave on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keep pedalling!
by timj Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:52 pm
Good riding today by everyone.Thanks for waiting for the flat.Anyway seems like we might be getting the idea of riding for training not just getting round.The idea of riding with the elements is to help not just cos someone says so and if everyone is not quite on the same level it does not mean they get dropped.Still lets talk about attacking after being dragged all the way from Easingwold up to near Crayke :evil: .Tried to keep the pace high enough to stop this :shock:cheers Should be good to see a few other riders racing with a good level come the season.
by AndyT Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 pm
Agree with Dr Dave there, today was tough....!

Really enjoyed the pace lining up the old A1 and the run back into town. Apologies for the attack up Crayke hill :oops: Must remember to get out of my little chainring to stop me spinning like crazy!

Numbers:

20.3mph, 206W AP & 224W NP, so not hanging around at all.

Thanks,
Andy
by WillK Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:07 pm
Great to see the sun today! Brisker group for me and a good work out up the old A1 where things fragmented a bit. Strong riding from Nick and newcomer Shaun (Sean?) and I actually welcome the introduction of a competitive edge as it's time to get out of the comfort zone occasionally. Regarding 'the other incident' (ref Cam above) I agree that this is not the appropriate forum for a full debate, but I really do think that conduct which firstly risks the good reputation of the Club, and secondly and most importantly places other riders in danger needs to be confronted and addressed. How that is done I don't know. It soured what was otherwise a good ride.
by timj Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:19 pm
Only joking Andy .I got same readings as u so Phil must be slower : : : :D
by AndyT Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
timj wrote:Only joking Andy .I got same readings as u so Phil must be slower : : : :D

No comment :twisted:
by Sharpy Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:47 am
If something has happened that is unspeakable then I suggest that something is done.

Normally these things don't look great for the club.

Just my two penneth.
by PhilBixby Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:25 am
The Saturday training ride is a Clifton ride - we publicise it on our website, Clifton riders often wear club kit, and consequently I'm the one who usually gets the "b****y cyclists" emails and letters and has to figure out how to reply to them when someone does something stupid. Communication doesn't always work 100% out on the road but whatever happens there is no excuse for forgetting that we are all out on the public highway, and the rules of the road (not to mention basic courtesy to others) apply. Riders who ignore this basic code of behaviour will not be welcome on Clifton rides, since their actions harm the way the club is viewed by local people.

For anyone who's sat there shrugging their shoulders saying "aaaaw, get over it, Bixby" I'm currently in the process of trying to get a cycling event to happen in a nearby village where residents were sworn at by riders in a race last year. When trying to book the HQ we were told we would not be welcome. If there are fewer local events as time goes by you can look to this sort of occurrence for the reason why. We'll have a further word about this in the square next Saturday.
by timj Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:04 am
I dont know what happened on sat but i do know that there r riders who dont give a s..... Phil so until they r stopped from riding on Clifton rides or something else they will keep doing it whatever it is.They use our rides to do what they want regardless of what anyone says,this is part of the reason i ride in the steadier !group
by Sharpy Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:09 pm
Generally I think both groups are okay Tim, I think there are on occasion people out that will cause issues for the club and the other riders. I have seen this in both training rides and the social rides.
by timj Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:29 pm
Sharpy i agree that incidents will happen but i bet that there r riders in the group that ride just as they like and not as the group wants them to..As to these incidents i cannot remember a member of Clifton racing being involved deliberately or not and i have been on quite a few of these rides. :?: .