Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by like my bike Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:43 pm
York Sport Day @ the Races 1 – 3, Saturday March 1st, 15th and 29th

10.00 sign opens

11.00 U8/U10 10 Short Laps (entry on the day only)
11.20 U12 10 Full Laps (entry via BC or on the day)
11.45 U14/U16 warm up
12.00 U14/16 race duration 45 mins (entry via BC or on the day)

13.00 Women only race duration 40mins (entry via BC or on the day)
14.00 4th only race duration 30 mins (entry via BC or on the day)
14.45 2/3/4 race duration 50 mins (entry via BC or on the day)

All races will be on the BC website next week sometime entry via BC or on the day/

Under British Cycling Technical Regulation

A J
by like my bike Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
Circuit Racing in March
York Sport Day @ the Races
Saturdays 1st, 15th and 29th March

Races include Youth, Women Only, 4th Cat Only & 2nd, 3rd, 4th

11.00 U8/U10 10 Short Laps (entry on the day only)
11.20 U12 10 Full Laps (entry via BC or on the day)
11.45 U14/U16 warm up
12.00 U14/16 race duration 45 mins (entry via BC or on the day)

13.00 Women only race duration 40mins (entry via BC or on the day)
14.00 4th only race duration 30 mins (entry via BC or on the day)
14.45 2/3/4 race duration 50 mins (entry via BC or on the day)

Entry via British Cycling or on the day follow links be

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... he-Races-1

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... he-Races-2

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... he-Races-3

A J
by Thomas Dickinson Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:06 pm
Hi all,

I'm a new member and am looking to getting into racing this year. I was looking for some advice as I'm interested in these races. Any answers to the below questions would be really helpful:
1) I understand I need a race licence from British Cycling. Is this just the £35 one for the year? I don't understand the categories etc. (do I need to worry about them?)
2) What is the format of the races held at York Sport? Is there a set number of laps to do? Also, I understand that York Sport do some cyclo cross events sometimes. Is this one of them? I only want to sign up if it is "road" type event.

Many thanks, Thomas.
by PhilBixby Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:27 pm
Hi Thomas, and welcome to Clifton. I'll leave specific circuit racing advice to someone whose actually done one recently, but on the general stuff:-
-You can do BC races without BC membership or licence by buying a day licence when you enter. Two disadvantages - you don't get BC points if you get a placing (so don't start working your way up the categories) and it can get expensive if you enter lots of events like this. Check the BC website which sets out costs.
-To get a race licence you need to also take out Silver or Gold BC membership, so the total annual cost is more than just the race licence. But you get a lot of benefits - again the BC website will give you the rundown.
-The type of race will be set out on the BC calendar - you'll note Andy's put links to the events, and the event info there will say "closed circuit" or "cyclocross" as appropriate.
-Circuit races are usually a nominal duration - say 45mins. Around that time the riders will see a lap board go up which will then set out the number of laps remaining, so they've got a countdown to the big push.

If you're aiming to race, I'd recommend the Saturday training rides...
by Melly Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:41 pm
Thomas, there is also training rides on the circuit every Tuesday and Thursday night 7:30-21-00 under flood lights for £4.00, I believe until the clocks go forward (like my bike) will confirm the exact time scales im sure, a good opportunity to ride with groups of differing speeds which is essential before even contemplating racing, like Phil B advised on the Saturday training rides its a similar learning curve. Dont be put off its a great experience, im in my 2nd proper year of racing this year @ 47 and only been riding a bike 4 years so dig in and get involved!!!

Cheers Simon