Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 am
Forecast for Saturday is dry but cold. Time for another ride south - a 20-odd-mph southerly should make the outward leg bracing and the half-lap of the Wheldrake circuit brisk. If anyone knows of any flooding issues with the Derwent shout it out on here before Saturday. Otherwise it's Murton - Elvington - Howden - Wressle - Breighton - Bubwith - North Duffield - Skipwith - Thorganby - Wheldrake - Escrick - Stillingfleet - York.

9am in the square, two or more groups depending on numbers.
by mart66 Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 am
Due to my shifter pinging off over my shoulder last week, I'll be on my cyclocross bike tomorrow. It weighs more than me - have mercy.

Martin
by Jess Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:10 pm
I ride my cyclocross bike all winter Martin. Just sayin'. :wink:
by mattmarsden78 Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:14 pm
Not quite sure what happened today. Was comfortable until Bubwith after the lights at the bridge. I just seemed to pop and even at 25 mph didn't have the pace to get back on. HR was much higher this week for some reason, 15 bpm higher than normal at 163. Must be down to the week off work and cycling.
by MikeG Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:32 pm
Left home too late for one reason and another and missed the group so went round on my own anyway. Given the recent puncture/crash rate I thought I might come across some unfortunate but it wasn't to be - I guess that's progress! Fun with that tailwind after the turn, I expect to see some Strava top 10s from the fast boys (and girls) today on the homeward leg :)
Last edited by MikeG on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by AndyT Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 pm
Well, that was fun!

Tough headwind on the southerly leg, howling gale on the return. I was blowing a bit coming into Fulford, which given we were coming through at 30-32mph is understandable.

Out of town;

19.9mph & 210W.

Hopefully see some of you on the Reliability ride tomorrow....
by PhilBixby Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:51 pm
As per Andy's post - that was a good ride! About a dozen left with Cam in the "biscuit" group (© Damien) and ten in the "steadier" group, which performed a well-drilled ride with nice short turns out to Howden where we once again caught the allegedly faster bunch (yeah, yeah, I know, the level crossing... :roll: ). A few defected at the tactical pee stop which followed shortly afterwards, leaving seven of us for the romp homewards. 17.8mph for the outward leg, 21.3 for the return, 19.6 out-of-town average and 210W for me.
by nigelt Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:13 pm
Good turnout in the square with most gravitating to the less brisk group (quite a few doing the Reliability Ride tomorrow so saving the legs).

Given the numbers I opted for the brisker group and 8 of us set off at a good pace. The group worked really well on the way out. Once again we got caught by the second group at the crossing near Howden which came down as we approached and stayed down for a while (Phil :D ).

The catch led to our group being swelled by Tony and Simon who came across from the other group as we set off. The increased numbers led to a ramping up of the pace after Howden and we were soon rolling along at 40kph+. With the wind assistance the pace didn't drop much on the return. We lost a couple on the Wheldrake road and by the time we got to Stillingfleet there were 6 of us. The pace notched up again after Stillingfleet and we were hitting the 50kph mark at times. I finally hit the rev limiter trying to come through at 50kph as we approached Fulford and came over the flyover about 20 secs behind the rest of the group completely cooked :roll:

Some really good group work today, tight riding and good communication. Cam looked v strong as did Simon and John Mc.

Looking forward to a few days off in Spain, then back to it next week.

Good luck to all riding the reliabilities tomorrow.
by JohnS Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:47 pm
Tough ride for me today. Missed the group in the square and after a quick call of nature decided to see if I could chase one of the groups down :o once out of York and into the headwind I realised that this was probably a futile task but pushed on never the less! Very glad when I reached Howden and turned back with a tailwind.

Just after Bubwith caught sight of a group down the road and thought I might have a chance. However the group ahead must have had a time check from their DS as they lifted the pace. Managed to catch a straggler who was dropped but once onto the Wheldrake circuit the time gap was going out again. Lost sight of the group on the far side of the circuit as we turned back into the headwind and I started to grovel in the gutter.

Across the A19 and up the little climb caught sight of the group again just before the turn to Stillington. But once they turned and took advantage of the tailwind it wasn't going to happen.

Still good workout and the sun was shining.

Should be out tomorrow for the Reliability Ride (albeit probably with tired legs :wink: )

John
by mart66 Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:39 pm
Sounds like a tough ride that, John.

Steadier group for me this week. Seemed a bit too steady heading out into the wind. I think this was caused by (as well as the wind itself of course) people sitting on the front too long. Once the turns shortened the pace picked up.

Always nice to have a tailwind coming into town and a seemed like a good pace coming back.

My HRM tells me that I only spent 46s above threshold which is what I wanted today.

ps - Jess, the cyclocross bike was fine - I should stop complaining!

Martin
by timj Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:17 pm
Hope u r not starting to take it easy now we r about 8 wks to the first few races.!!!Or is it reverse periodisation.