Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm
Forecast for Saturday is looking cool but not freezing. Continuing the currently-unbroken rotation of routes, we're back on the northerly one. So:- York - Tockwith - Walshford - Boroughbridge - Milby - Helperby - Easingwold - Crayke - Huby - Stillington and whatever onward route(s) from there each group fancies.

As always, there will be two or more groups varying between "steadier" and "brisker". Think in advance about which one is most likely to give you the ride which is most appropriate to your training plan. You do have a training plan, don't you? :wink:
by GrahamMartin Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:23 pm
I *had* a training plan, but a yawning gap opened in it after Saturday - I've closed it now! Looking forwards to this one, especially after last week, and the weather looks OK, though that wind is going to sort the short/flexible from the tall/accursed!
by mattmarsden78 Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:03 pm
Great ride again today guys. I started in the 3rd, apparently steadiest, group with Phil and 6 others only to become the 1st group by the time we reached the Sheriff Cricket Club after passing the other two groups along the way. We let the brisker guys retain their dignity as we stopped to re-group.

I should learn to keep my gob shut though after telling Phil that I enjoyed this route as I wasn't struggling as we left Crayke, only for the pace to pick up into the head wind. I was running on empty when we rolled into Haxby.

Cheers again guys (and gal)
by PhilBixby Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:07 pm
A good window in the weather systems this morning - bright and dry and just the homebound headwind to contend with - rain is lashing against the windows now. In consequence plenty out in the square, forcing a three group strategy. "Briskest" off first, followed by "brisker" and then eight of us in the "steadier". We got two refugees from the non-running 08:45 ride, who looked rather horrified when they realised we were their best option for a ride, but both coped really well and were rolling through like pro's by the time we motored up the A168 at wind-assisted pace. Another good steady drama-free ride; only a few tired legs near the end dropping it under 19mph out-of-town average, and 200W. As Matt mentioned, looked like both the other groups had punctures - all okay otherwise?
by AndyT Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:34 pm
Same ride as the above 2 posters. Seemed tougher than usual, but looking at the numbers it wasn't any harder than recent efforts..(pretty sure I was over-dressed for the conditions and suffered mild dehydration as a result)

18.6mph and 189W for the out of town section.
by MikeG Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:04 pm
Middle group for me this week. We headed off at a good pace and with some very smooth, tidy riding had to back off a few times to avoid catching the first group off. The problem resolved itself with a puncture on the way into Boroughbridge which turned into an epic fix when we only realised the tyre itself was damaged once everything was back in place and re-inflated so off it came again for round 2. Thankfully a couple of riders in the group had spare tyres - a lesson to everyone else!

After the considerable delay we'd all got pretty cold so the speed started to creep up as everyone tried to get warm again. We decided to throw in a full loop of the new race circuit (Moxby Lane, Sheriff, Stillington - who said that wasn't hilly enough??) and then headed back towards town. I made my apologies and dropped off coming down towards Haxby which was a relief as my legs were well and truly stuffed by then. As I left the remaining group of 5 to head for home we'd averaged 19.7 from the square. Got home with just over 75 on the clock and a ravenous hunger to sort out. Thanks all :)
by DamianE Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:44 pm
Set off in the first group today after mistakenly hearing Phil call it the biscuits group. Having checked everyone's pockets, including Steve who we met en route, I was distraught not to find biscuits. Tempted to sit and wait for Phil to give him a piece of my mind but decided it was possible I had misinterpreted the instructions... Eight made the turns come round quickly and I don't remember that much of a tailwind anywhere. Steve and Wayne tried and almost managed to ride us off their wheels up to Crayke and most were glad when it went downhill again. We got caught just as Wills puncture was fixed and then Ed decided to catch the other group in 500m instead of a few miles. Steve held onto the coat tails but the rest of us were left behind. Pretty tough in the wind there, 70 miles by the time I staggered in asking for biscuits. See you all in a few weeks, stag do and football for me next Saturday.
by WillK Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:18 pm
"Briskest" group for me and a nice number making the turns come round reasonably quickly. Felt fairly steady initially and not surprised we were nearly overhauled by the groups behind. Seem to be having a bad year for p******** and ironic that the flat happened in almost exactly the same place as last time. "Steadier" group galloped past just as we were getting back on the road and it seems the "brisker" group chose to do a different loop hence the lack of overlap. Just as I was thinking it was an easier ride than usual Ed hit the turbo button and as Damien has said with the headwind most of us were left wobbling in his wake, except John S who is riding very strongly and showing the results of a successful cross season. Nice weather, great ride thanks guys!