Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:29 am
Forecast for Saturday is for a chilly but above-freezing morning following a slightly crispy night. I can't believe we're not going to get worse weather ahead for which we should save the well-worn northerly route, so let's head west and just take it carefully. If conditions turn out worse than expected we can reconsider on the day. Two groups, 9am in the square.
by Lee E Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 pm
Ditto!! And this time I have a new chain set that shouldn't explode after 12miles. Phil cheers for stopping last Saturday, all being well no drama's this time :lol:
by PhilBixby Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:38 pm
Vast numbers in the square this morning - reflecting the fact that the sun was shining; in fact we passed dozens of cyclists out there today, so it wasn't just the racers who were stirring from their pits. Enough to require three groups - with the "swiftest" heading out in advance of the "swifter", leaving eight of us to form the "steadier" group. Good group riding with enough of a headwind on the outward leg to make it hard work. I've had a rather "energy-free" week and my legs were complaining like hell by the time we reached Tadcaster. We pressed on at a well-managed pace, and did a half-lap of Selby Stuart's new Kelfield circuit for good measure.

The stats:- 19.2mph and 217W for the out-of-town bulk of it. Many thanks to all.
by AndyT Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:52 pm
Steadier group for me also :D

Playing with my new Stages PM, it's knocked out near enough exactly the same as Phil's SRM with 217W @ 19.4mph. The additional 0.2mph was possibly the sprint over the A64 Fulford bridge-Sorry guys!

Andy
by Sharpy Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:27 pm
Briskest group for me, started with 7, one snapped chain we were down to 5 picked up Cam on route making 6 and the 2 were back with us in Tadcaster. A small collision caused by some mixed up calls but everyone was okay.

Tempo was quick and at times it was all a bit messy which I think was an impact of the effort levels. Hard efforts all round I think.

I was scuppered by the headwind on the Bishopwood circuit, got back on then called it quits just after Cawood, didnt want to risk struggling back home on totally empty legs.

70miles for me today, not sure on the average pace for the out of town bit as I forgot to lap the black box but 19.2mph for the 70miles so pretty pleased.

Can someone order a bit less wind please, its starting to become tiresome! :D
by WillK Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:32 pm
"Swifter" (ref Phil's post above) for me as a week of work induced zero bike time made it seem the sensible choice. About 8 of us inititally before Simon turned back to save legs for some track action tomorrow. Caught the "swiftest" group just after Tad and before a route divergence to avoid a massive peloton caused a spill. Really good ride with some hard through and off approaching and through Bishopwood circuit. Nice work from young Andy who is riding very well, and Martin. Legs felt nicely spent upon arrival at home :D Thanks guys!
by mart66 Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:01 am
Second group for me. I'm not sure how many of us set off together but i know that there were only of 4 of us taking turns for the last 20 miles. This briefly dropped to 3 as I had an enforced rest on the final leg of the Bishopwood circuit but strong riding from Will, Andy and Nick kept the group going.

By the time we got into Fulford I had us averaging 19.7mph which is pretty quick for this time of year. Must admit that I was on the limit at times which is a bit more effort than I wanted to put in but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Good stuff guys.

Martin