Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by nigelt Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 pm
The best way to describe yesterday's race is 'epic'! I arrived around 1030 for the 1230 race and after sorting my bike and changing into my Clifton kit I was already soaked- the torrential rain and wind making sure that there was no shelter even under the tailgate. I was parked close to Fraz from Cycleworks who had a car full of CW racers whose intentions were to 'stay in the car till the last minute'- so much for warming up!

I managed a lap of most of the course prior to the race start, as did JohnS and lined up with the rest of the 40-49ers ready to go. Stood at the start in the rain it was clear that everyone was desperate to get started and try to warm up.

Once the siren went it took seconds to get warm as everyone sprinted for the narrowing trail ahead and soon we were into the race proper. I lost sight of John soon after the start on a winding, technical course which was really good fun with a bit of everything- tree routes, steps, hurdles, a scaffolding bridge, off-camber traverses and lots of very wet, increasingly muddy grass!

As is usual with 'cross it was impossible to tell who was where in the race and I settled into just riding as hard as I could and staying upright. I was passed around lap 3 by Will Kaye and there followed a bit of cat and mouse with Will- I would pass him, he would pass me, and round we went.

On the last lap my brakes failed which made cornering on the downhill sections interesting and caused me to fall off approaching the biggest hurdle as I couldn't slow down for the dismount :shock: At least I was already as wet and muddy as I could get by that point!

I finally finished halfway down the field (68th out of 132 finishers), in a cluster of 3 Clifton riders- Myself, Neil Kerry and Will. John did much better- I'll leave John (and the others?) to provide their own updates.

The finish was the cue for instant hypothermia- no one hung around to talk post-race with everyone trying to get to their cars and change before they froze to death! I passed Will at his car and he looked even colder than me :?

A great race despite the weather. Harrogate Nova are making noises to run it again next year- I'll definitely be there!
by Kobald Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:51 pm
I got there ready for my boy Euen's race - just as the first bits of rain started to fall. This is the first season of cross racing for both of us, and the weather has been more than good on the races we've been at, so I guess balance was restored here as the bits turned to torrents.

For my warm up I got to lead out the under 8s and then U10s on their start laps. I was relieved to stay ahead of them, there's some fast kids in there! Fortunately the U12s could look after themselves and I wasn't put to the test!

I really enjoyed the vets racing although the sloppy bits were a slog. The muddy traverse was particularly tough, with the boards placed cruelly close after to stop any easy momentum building. This was generally the bit I lost ground and any wheels I was looking for to hide from the wind for the next section. Wardrobe malfunctions with the tights hooking to the saddle meant I came a cropper on the last lap more than once - tights have to go next time. It was good to finish with the Clifton shirts where we seemed drawn to each other as we moved up and down places. Well done to John for finishing up the field, again, I'm sure the rest of us can forgive any rudeness in dropping his teammates :) (kidding here John)

Unfortunately I can't be at the York cx race tomorrow - but already looking forward to next season, as is Euen. CX has been brilliant for getting him racing - and to me too. No hesitation in recommending to anyone to give it a go - just turn up and you're off!

Neil
by JohnS Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:25 pm
I clearly didn't get the memo that we were riding it as a team time trial :oops: let me know next time and I'll endeavour to slow down :wink:

Well done all. It's nice to have some Clifton shirts for company.