Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Sharpy Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:37 am
Is there going to be one? Normally someone has posted up by now?

Some of us are planning on heading out as long as its not fire and brimstone.

Thoughts on a route?

Cheers

Sharpy
by nigelt Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:11 am
I plan to be out. Is it time for a Malton loop again? Forecast looks reasonable.
by mart66 Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:38 pm
Malton with a grinding headwind on the way back - one for the hardmen that, Nigel.

Southern route might be a bit more forgiving but I must admit that I can never remember it.

Martin
by Sharpy Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:56 pm
Happy with either, I think I can remember them both so we do either.
by PhilBixby Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:18 pm
Ooooo, we're keen this week! :wink:

I was going to suggest Malton but with the proviso of a final check on the day; there are supposed to be gales coming through tomorrow but Saturday looks like it should be okay - bit breezy but hey - if it's a headwind you just keep the effort the same and go a bit slower. If reality is wilder and windier we can reconsider. As always, two groups!
by Sharpy Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:58 pm
AndyM wrote:http://discussion.cliftoncc.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=29043#p29043

:wink:

Not out Sunday... :wink:

Weather does look a tad windy, south is brutal heading down but would be super easy on the way back. I have not done Malton for a long time so there is some appeal in that route for me.

Easy either way,

Cheers
Sharpy
by Sharpy Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:11 pm
As usual a big group in the square, the lions share heading out in the brisker group. On the way out it was all so easy ticking along in the mid 20's and at times high 20's.

It was going so well until Pete dropped his chain which seemed to pull his rear wheel out, and down he went closely followed by Ed and JohnS. Some bruises and no doubt sore bones but thankfully nothing more, the bikes were also generally okay, although Pete had to abandon his front mudguard as it was beyond saving. After a couple of stops to reassess the plan we pushed on and were soon into the pain of the headwind, tough day of cycling I must say.

For me it was 80miles with the last 15 back to Selby some of the grimest in a long time.

Avg speed for the out of town but was 19.5mph which was slower than the last couple of times, but given the wind and the incidents still a solid pace.

Hope those that did come off are soaking in the bath and not feeling too bad.

Have a great Christmas folks

Cheers

Sharpy

Sharpy
by PhilBixby Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:36 pm
A big gathering of Christmas-shopping-refugees in the square, and as per usual most of them set off in the "brisker" group, leaving five of thinking "should get a good workout, then!" :D We picked up RichT on the way out of town and fairly flew to Malton - passing the brisker group who appeared to be having a bit of a rest***. Things slowed a bit as the southerly became less helpful, and a rather green-looking AndyT peeled off at Coneysthorpe for a more direct route home. Rich, Jess, Nigel, me and a mudguardless but apologetic (and usefully large, given the headwind) Tom ground our way steadily homewards. Not too cold, plenty of sunshine and had a tan (Belgian) when I got home. 212W and just under 18mph for the out-of-town chunk of it, and good company. Happy Solstice, folks!

*** Hope all the fallen are okay - had assumed this was just a p******e as we hurried past with an impatient car up our backsides...
by PeteN Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:16 pm
Came a bit of a cropper as Rich says. I had asked the bike to move to the small ring, but it didn't, then when I stood on the pedals it suddenly shifted but the chain seemed to lock between the chain ring and front derailleur - result being to jolt me off! Some ruined clothing, fairly minor bike damage and some bruises and cuts to show for it. Could have been worse.
Thanks to Cam and Ed for riding me back to the group on a couple of occasions.
Some hard riding into the wind after that all added up to being pleased to get home! A bit of turkey, brussels and festive drinking should see me right!