Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 am
Forecast is chilly but nothing out of the ordinary at present, so let's head west. York - Appleton Roebuck - Tadcaster - Bramham - Thorner - Scholes - Aberford - Sherburn - Cawood - York. Two groups, self-selected on basis of steadier/brisker pace. Check back on here near the time in case of last-minute weather woes.
by PhilBixby Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:58 pm
A chilly-looking group gathered in the square this morning, probably feeling even chillier when Martin turned up with bare leg showing. The "brisker" group set off leaving seven of us, and we picked up Melly on the exit from Bishopthorpe. An increasingly stiff southerly made the first half of the ride hard work but everyone worked well together, and the pace steadily crept up towards the latter part of the ride as the wind got behind us. 19.2mph and 217W for the out-of-town fifty miles. Many thanks to all.
by Jess Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:22 pm
Phil, I take it all back. Having stated emphatically that I hate this route, I really enjoyed today's ride. A tough few hours in the wind, but great company and group kept together well. Thanks guys.
by mart66 Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:36 pm
It was only a few inches of bare leg between my knee warmers and overshoes, Phil! I take my inspiration from these guys: http://www.velominati.com/look-pro/look ... rian-best/

Good ride today in the 'brisker' group. Good pace, smooth riding and no traumas (apart from Nick's mudguards). Always nice to be blown back to York. Average on my computer was 19.7 when we got back to Fulford.

Good stuff guys. Hopefully see you next week.

Martin
by DamianE Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:56 pm
First trip out for a while and a bit cautious on the way into town with the remnants of a cold. Saw Cam as I was leaving Bish so we did 20 mins before coming back and meeting the brisker group. Passed home for the fourth time to settle into a nice ride, somewhat plagued by horses but always appeared when I needed a breater so didn't complain too much. Awful lot of Titanium on show plus the odd trainspotter - takes all sorts this cycling lark. Wasn't as easy as I'd hoped once we turned back but hung in with a sensible group of riders till Naburn before getting on the bike path home.

Hopefully wont leave it as long before next out but doing hills is working for me so I'll persevere. If anyone is off over Christmas and fancies the odd 4 hours, pm me. Looking forward to some decent racing next year...
by nickb Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:49 am
Apart from my mudguard trying to kill me twice and the mental horses, it was a good but surprisingly brisk ride. I had 20.4mph average between Bish and Fulford.

DamianE wrote: Awful lot of Titanium on show

I hate to admit how nice and comfy Ti is! Maybe a sign of getting old!
by Melly Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:56 pm
Damien, I have Pm'd you a couple of times but they have not worked for me for some time, they just sit in the outbox !!! so ive replied on here, Ifinish on the 23rd and dont go back until 6th Jan and am wanting to get some miles in, I cannot ride 4 hours at your pace but will join you for some if thats ok, ive signed up for this http://www.strava.com/challenges/festive-500-2013 and hope to complete it weather permitting!!. Had to leave the group today just after Tad, did the 1st night of the Core Strength and Fitness course with Ed Nicholson last Thursday and my legs felt mashed today :-(

Melly
by DamianE Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:55 pm
Hi Simon, no, haven't seen any messages. My pace is skewed by these youngsters. I ride slower by myself don't you worry!!! I've got your mobile but maybe I'll post on here and see if we get takers. Likely to only decide day before in most cases.
by Melly Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:22 pm
Hi Damien, day before suits me too, but if its fine Ill be out anyway to get the Rapha challenge done :oops:
by AndyT Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:34 pm
Guys, I'm off work from the 20th until the 6th January. Would be good to get some decent winter miles in..

Andy
by Melly Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm
Just re-checked its Friday i finish, not the 23rd :D