Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:05 pm
Provisionally:-
1st May - Clifton - 4ths-only - Sheriff / Stillington (new circuit)
15th May - Cycleworks - 3/4 - Escrick
29th May - Ph-MAS - 3/4 - TBC
12th June - Malton Whlrs - 3/4 - Kirby Misperton
26th June - Clifton - 4ths-only plus Women-only - Escrick
10th July - Cycleworks - 3/4 - Brandsby
24th July - Malton Whlrs - 3/4 - Kirby Misperton
7th Aug - Selby CC - 3/4 - Kelfield/Stillingfleet (new circuit)

Anyone who wants to sign up to help, form an orderly queue... :D
by GrahamMartin Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:39 pm
Hello Phil, et al.

Great to see this series develop - and a second 4th Cat only is appreciated! I'd love to sign up to help out, but perhaps I could organise a trade with a 3rd Cat in another club, so as to race both ours?

I'm also, with some trepidation, going to offer a simple website for the series. It would contain separate pages with details (inc circuit maps) for each race, plus a blog format of posts advertising the races/warning of impending sell-outs, and then brief race reports/links to photographers sites/updates on series standings. Would the organising collective like this? Would be building on free 'wordpress.com' hosting, so no cost involved unless people want to register a domain.

Questions stemming only from curiosity:
1) Trying to map the Stillington - Sutton circuit: is it North through Sutton, left at roundabout, straight at Farlington, lefts through Stillington, Moxby Lane back to Cricket Club? Or left at Farlington? Or am I in the wrong place entirely?
2) Bit surprised by lack of Bishop's Wood - any specific reason (noting lack of Scarcroft Wheelers Spring Race on BC events thus far)?
3) Also, who are Ph-MAS?

Unrelated note: I'm hoping to take Pete Sutton's Race Organisers course on 24th January, and would be up for trying my new found knowledge on a Saturday of YorkSport Circuit races for the club. Who do I raise this with?

Graham
by PhilBixby Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:09 pm
Just to update the provisional running order to (hopefully) final status:-

1st May – Clifton (Martin Seaman) - 4ths-only - Sheriff / Stillington
15th May - Selby CC - 3/4 - Kelfield/Stillingfleet
29th May - Ph-MAS - 3/4 - Bishopwood
12th June - Malton Whlrs - 3/4 - Kirby Misperton
26th June – Clifton (Gavin Williams) - 4ths-only plus Women-only - Escrick with two HQ’s
10th July - Cycleworks - 3/4 - Brandsby
24th July - Malton Whlrs - 3/4 - Kirby Misperton
7th Aug - Cycleworks - 3/4 – Escrick

Aim is to get them on the BC calendar within the next couple of weeks.

Will leave the event organisers to respond re the website idea. Ref the specific queries:-

Sheriff-Stillington starts in Sheriff, heads west through Farlington to Stillington, south then east along Moxby Lane to left at the cricket club and left at the roundabout in Sheriff. Bishopwood's now on the roster, and ph-MAS is ex-Dirtwheels Neil Hendry & Co.
by mattmarsden78 Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:34 pm
Hi Phil, I'm wanting to start some racing this year. Am I safe to jump straight in on the Cat 4 race on 1st May? Assuming I've been on plenty of training rides between now and then! :oops:
I'm assuming a silver membership is all I need?

Thanks.
by Sharpy Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:34 am
Matt, I would see no reason why not. Get your membership and race licence and get involved.

I would maybe do some of the Crits at YorkSport as well, they are different to the road races but good sessions and you get a feel for real pack riding without the potholes, grids and general debris that adorns the roads of Yorkshire.

For those who are organising I should be available to support, be it motorbike marshall, car marshall, standing on a corner marshall... Just need to make sure these don't clash with any of my races,

Cheers

Sharpy
by GrahamMartin Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:13 pm
There seems to be general agreement, even enthusiasm, that a series website would be useful, so I've begun writing one. I'm not going to share the location of said site until such time as I've had clearance from all necessary parties.

Currently it contains basic details including rough circuit maps for each race. These will be replaced when I get full details of HQs and Finish Lines confirmed. A page advertising each of the clubs involved is forthcoming. I'm in contact with Maffers and Gavin (rounds 4, 5, 7), and can easily talk to Cycleworks (6, 8) when they next empty my bank account. :P

Does anyone want to admit to being, or knowing the whereabouts of, Martin Seaman (1), Selby CC (2) or PH-MAS (3)? The sooner I can contact them all, the sooner an accurate and helpful series website can be published. Also, does anyone have any preferences for nice landscape photos of a local cycling race that can be used as site banner?

Also, does anyone want to tell me which precise method of scoring is used for the series individual and team standings?
by GrahamMartin Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:12 pm
Hello all,

I've decided that the website is ready to release, now that I've had a chance to communicate with all race organisers. If you do spot an error, please let me know ASAP. Still a query over the method of dividing up the series points.

http://northyorkshireroadraces.wordpress.com/

Graham

P.S. I'm wondering if we could make a policy of assigning race numbers from 11-70 instead of 1-60, then swapping riders in the series top 10 to wearing their position as their number? Would this be too much work?
by AndyT Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:33 pm
GrahamMartin wrote:Hello all,

I've decided that the website is ready to release, now that I've had a chance to communicate with all race organisers. If you do spot an error, please let me know ASAP. Still a query over the method of dividing up the series points.

http://northyorkshireroadraces.wordpress.com/

Graham

P.S. I'm wondering if we could make a policy of assigning race numbers from 11-70 instead of 1-60, then swapping riders in the series top 10 to wearing their position as their number? Would this be too much work?

Great work on the website Graham, very useful for newcomers to racing.
by menticknap Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:05 am
GrahamMartin wrote:P.S. I'm wondering if we could make a policy of assigning race numbers from 11-70 instead of 1-60, then swapping riders in the series top 10 to wearing their position as their number? Would this be too much work?

Erm, yes. I think so. Lets keep it simples!
by mart66 Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:10 pm
I can imagine that being a bit of a faff on.

However, if there's an appetite for that sort of thing, the leader wearing No.1 wouldn't be too difficult would it?
by DamianE Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:00 pm
Back in the day, when I did the Road Race leagues around Hull, the leader had a yellow ('day glow' actually!) jersey to wear. Bit of an expense but can't be too hard to buy a medium jersey to pass around?
by GrahamMartin Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:56 am
Just seen that race 1 has appeared on the BC website - but as a 3rd and 4th Cat event, as opposed to 4th only as shown further up this thread (and on the website what I wrote). Can someone please clarify, before more members of Alba Rosa sign up for a race to which they might not be eligible?
by PhilBixby Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm
Both of the events which were to be 4ths-only are now 3rds/4ths. This happened without our input - apparently there are to be no 4ths-only BC road races at present. The word is that it's an insurance thing. Apologies, but I only discovered this yesterday.