Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:41 am
The forecast for Saturday is around freezing so I suggest we do the northern route so the latter part of it can be tweaked to suit road conditions on the day. For newcomers this is:-

York - Rufforth and onwards along the B1224 - right onto A168 - Walshford - A168 to Boroughbridge

..then assuming roads are okay...

Milby - Brafferton - Easingwold - Crayke - Huby - Sutton-on-Forest - Strensall - York

If the roads are dodgy we can adjust to keep on main roads; if the weather suddenly takes a real turn for the worst before then we can cancel - check on here Friday night / Saturday morning.

The A168 offers a good opportunity to do some steady paceline riding without ramping up the speed. Can I point everyone at Nigel's posting on last Saturdays thread, and make yet another plea for everyone to take responsibility for keeping these rides at a sensible pace. They're group rides. It's November. It's around zero degrees. End of chat.
by PhilBixby Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 pm
No major changes in forecast weather - Metcheck, Met Office and the barometer on my office wall all agree it'll be dry but cold tomorrow. 9am in the square.
by Sharpy Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:01 pm
What seemed like enough people for a good size peleton in the square this morning it was split into a number of groups (3?) the first group to leave started with 10 and made good pace out of town, all very well behaved good efforts, at times we could have rolled through a bit quicker to keep everyone warm but it was not so bad.

We had one chap turn off and another off the back however it was all agreed and the group waited to see what the plan was, we met up with the 2nd? group near Strensall as they demonstrated some dubious checking of traffic to pull out in front of us :wink:

At the right turn in Strensall there was a small off on some very slippy tarmac and Cam and Tony (and another?) went down, Cam was okay Tony hurt is arm (hope you are okay!) we rolled back into York all together after a solid ride.

Average for the ride was 19.5mph and for the out of town bit was 20.5mph no idea what the power was but my average heart rate was 128bpm so nothing too hectic.

I then rode back to Selby and fell of half a mile from home... I am fine just dented pride!

Hope the other groups had similar rides, (without the falling off!)

Cheers
Sharpy
by WillK Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:02 pm
With about 30 arriving at the square, and following last week's 'politics', there were nervous glances and an unusual sense of hesitation when groups were invited to be formed :wink:

I stepped forward for the first group to leave (with some trepidation given the absence of bike time of late) and am really glad I did. There were 10 of us (until Kit pealed off as planned) and what resulted was a really tidy and enjoyable group ride, at a pace which was 'sensibly brisk' averaging just shy of 20mph over the flat-ish northerly route.

Cracking day, cracking ride! Thanks guys. The only draw back was a multiple spillage in Wigginton, hope Tony (who unfortunately appeared to be nursing a broken wrist) got back alright and is set to make a full recovery.
by PhilBixby Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:07 pm
Big numbers in the square this morning - about thirty or so? The "brisker" group was swiftly split into two by Cam before they set off, eventually leaving seven of us as the "steadier" group. With Andy's Garmin reckoning it was only one degree above zero, we singled out along the main road to Wetherby before heading north up the A168. Entirely drama-fee; the sun came out and by the pee-stop near Milby (where the second group somehow appeared from behind us) it was a very pleasant day to be out on a bike. AndyM peeled off at Easingwold and the rest of us continued at a steady pace and taking nice short turns. 19mph and 195W for the out-of-town bit. Many thanks, folks!
by AndyM Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:30 pm
Great ride this morning in group 3 - some solid, smooth riding. The pace actually became easier when we got to the A168 which made a nice change :lol:

Decided to make the most of the weather (and the summer bike) and turned off towards Yearsley and Brandsby to round my ride up to 5 hours and 89 miles, and back in plenty of time for the Formula 1 qualifying and a tense final few minutes of rugby.

I hope all those that took a tumble are okay.

Thanks folks!
by JohnS Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:03 pm
After last weeks shinanagins thought I would keep my head down and sidled into Group 2. Despite the temperature we headed out through the lanes via Tockwith and Cowthorpe rather than the direct route. Slight delay before Tockwith after Tony p*******d, really not his day (hope you're ok mate) which explained how we bent space and time and arrived at Milby after Phil!

Slight wardrobe malfunction with my jacket zip jamming meant a slightly longer stop than normal, but the 7 left in our group cracked on at a brisk pace. Nice smooth riding from all.

Good solid ride, thoroughly enjoyed the morning. Thanks for your company guys. See you next week.

Best regards

John