Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by G. Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 pm
PhilBixby wrote:From Tejvan Pettinger's blog (he won last year's Ilkley 25 in just under 56mins)

Don't forget the national hillclimb!

by PeteP Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:55 pm
It does make an entertaining read. Did anyone dare stop for a p**s stop this week :roll: :?:

by mart66 Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:32 pm
"my w****'s bigger than your w****"

My watts are bigger than your watts? That's probably not far off.

On the evidence, I think about 8 of us chose the wrong group!

Martin

by Sharpy Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:09 pm
Okay, so speaking to some of the guys who were in the faster group they really enjoyed to ride, however they did say may be we need another group... I know, I know!

Either those that want a faster group are not welcome or the ride is broadened to capture the range, like we used to with the now defunct 0845 ride.

But maybe depending on who is out a call needs to be made.... I don't know I am all out of ideas.

Think I will just endeavour to turn up and ride in whichever group feels like the right one. :?

by Melly Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 pm
As far as im aware the 0845 ride has happened every week, but ill stand corrected, there was certainly another group on the other side of the square last week and Yes Pete there was a couple of well marshalled P stops in the 2nd group :o No, the group worked well!!

by Sharpy Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:17 pm
Melly wrote:As far as im aware the 0845 ride has happened every week

If that is the case then its my bad... just not seen anything about it, but maybe I am not looking at the right time!

by mart66 Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 pm
There is also the Cycleworks ride that goes out at 9:00 on Saturdays. I've always been led to believe that that ride is a bit brisker.

I think the 8:45 guys post on the general discussion board. I've never been out on it but I hear it's pretty good.

If that doesn't suit then I suppose they've got to sort it out themselves haven't they?

by Melly Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:39 pm
No brainer for me Mart, if there's 2 groups ill be in the 2nd, as ive said before I know my limitations, If like last week and there is only 1 ride, I respect the riders who are younger, older, fitter, and just naturally faster than me and ill do my best, expecting to be dropped, but anyone who turns up in the square for the 1st time or having not experienced the faster group, unless he/she is "Very" certain of their ability would be doing themselves a service by joining the 2nd group to evaluate their position in whatever groups suits, if its too slow for you, there's always next week :?:

by nigelt Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:36 am
I've been on the Cycleworks Saturday ride a few times and I have to say it doesn't suffer from some of the issues we seem to. The Cycleworks group ride as a group and despite using a much hillier route (usually to Helmsley) always keep it together. No one gets shelled out, no one goes flying off the front- if they do they get left in no doubt that it's a group ride. if the Cycleworks gang want to go hard in training they do it during the week, not on the group rides. This is what Phil keeps emphasising for our rides but the plea often seems to fall on deaf ears.

This to me is the issue- too many people riding for themselves on a Saturday and not enough for the group. The second group on Saturday worked really well because we worked together. I'm sure Phil could have ridden off the front if he wanted, as could Melly who was looking pretty strong, but they didn't, they kept it together at a good pace for the group.

It's okay arguing that we are all at different levels so it's hard to keep together, but the Cycleworks group usually comprise elite riders, a professional triathlete and some other top class riders, as well as the likes of me (on occasion), yet manage to keep it together. We should be looking after our riders, not shelling them out of the back in November.

We all have a responsibility to keep our groups together, perhaps we should be more vocal in doing so. While its good to see so many out on a Saturday, we should make it clear that if people simply want to try and ride everyone off their wheel, they are welcome to do so when they're racing, but not on these group rides, that's not what they're about.

by Sharpy Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 am
Okay... One thought, which is something I am sure that used to be done.

Why not give an idea of the rolling speed (the speed on the flat) of the groups, that way people will have a better feel for the group they need to be in and the group knows what to aim for?

So you could have the faster group at 19mph for example and the slower aiming for 18mph? Then if the group comes in way over or way under then it is more obvious its not worked, that is unless everyone stayed on and had a great ride....

Cheers

Sharpy

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 am
Checking back over average speeds for these rides over the past few years (and anyone who knows me will know that I have more than enough data) shows they vary all over the place, due to wind / weather / terrain / group size / etc. I doubt any of us in the second group last Saturday even glanced at the speed during the ride. There are enough people out there who have a few years of winter training in their legs to know what a sensible endurance pace is. Let's just keep it simple - set off as a group, ride as a group, finish as a group. It shouldn't be complex. Just keep aware, and talk to each other!

by Dr Dave Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:55 pm
Just to chime in from the 08:45 perspective. In recent weeks I have done this ride a few times - usually it has been led by Tony G. It has been comprised mainly of riders who also often attend the 10:00 'intermediate' social ride but who are looking for a shorter ride getting back at lunchtime rather than late afternoon. As quoted by Melly, last Saturday on this ride I recorded an average of 19.2mph door to door on a mainly flat loop out round Ripon, Knaresborough, and back through Cowthorpe.
Although not a through and off training ride with slightly longer than chaingang pulls (cf the training rides) we do take turns on the front but there is more of an emphasis on chatting together on the way round - something the training rides limit by virtue of the 'through and of' meaning that conversations are limited to a few minutes before the 'chain goes round'.
I am sure that anyone wanting a 'steady to brisk' ride at approx. 19 mph average (on a flattish route in good conditions) would find this suitable but it is meant to be a social ride NOT a training ride.

by Melly Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:01 pm
PhilBixby wrote:I doubt any of us in the second group last Saturday even glanced at the speed during the ride.

I had no idea what speed we were doing until I got home, @ 47 next my eyes have deteriorated over the last 2 years and I cant see the Garmin without squinting, the rider's wheel 4" from mine is considerably more important to me and the rest of the group !!!!, instead I used them to look around, ahead and behind me to try and evaluate how everybody else was looking. I dont like riding on my own as that's when I do all my B**ls out work and I prefer the road to the turbo, that's why I come to the Clifton "Chain gang ride" I would like to make this winters objective to be known as the club that encourages and actively ensures that all riders who take the plunge, and it is daunting at first to be given the courtesy they deserve. Its November, Its Not A RACE !!!

by Jess Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:53 pm
Haha - 28 replies and I wasn't even out! :lol: