Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:51 pm
Well…the trouble really started in July. After coming 2nd in the NYERRL at Bransby and then surprising myself by getting a 4th in the circuit race at York the following Tuesday in what was a large and decent field I found myself on a dizzying 36 points! I had started the season with the goal of making it to 3rd Cat so with still a fair amount of the season left it seemed only fair to see if I could get the 50 points I needed to make 2nd Cat. I would worry about “how to stay a 2nd Cat” next year. A mere 137 races later (:shock:) I have secured the necessary points so I should be starting next season as a 2nd Cat :) .
I went on holiday in August for a fortnight and had 48 points at that point. Since coming back from holiday I was optimistic I could get the necessary 2 points at Donny Wheelers race 2 weeks ago. A mechanical put paid to my chances there though. Have raced on the York Circuit in the last 3 weeks and ridden quite strongly. Last week I managed to get in a large break – more of a split in the field really. This whittled down to 9. Knowing that I only need 8th position to secure the necessary 2 points I contrived to get 9th place! So… a tad disappointed there. I’m not the most “explosive” of riders so I really need to get everything right to get amongst it in the sprint. Under-gearing and bearing the brunt of a headwind on the run-in was just completely wrong. Better prepared this Tuesday. Only 2 or 3 wanted to race really though. I actually made what I thought was good attack at halfway only to find my self riding in isolation for a couple of laps. Not getting any further away ..it seemed prudent to conserve energies and wait for the group. One lad did get away with 5 to go and to his credit stayed away. Took a more measured approach in the sprint this time and finished 6th I think.
Really enjoyed the season overall. Had my share of bad luck with mechanicals in a couple of races I had high hopes for and a couple 3rd/4th races which I hoped to do well in were cancelled but know that I have also ridden my luck as well. Circuit races not really my forte but there has been certainly plenty of them! It has certainly forced me to make the most of what limited sprinting ability I have. Being in the right place and holding your nerve certainly helps. Had enough of riding round circuits though so if anyone sees me anywhere near York circuit before next season at least feel free to shoot me or, at the very least, hit me over the head with a bike pump!...Mind you Andy J did mention those “structured training sessions” on the circuit starting soon….mmmmmm

by mart66 Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:39 pm
Wahey! Well done, Cam.

You definitely deserve an extra beer and side dish this evening.

It's only 20 points to maintain your 2nd isn't it? Easy.

Martin

by DamianE Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:55 pm
Well done Cam

by Melly Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 am
Great riding Cam well done :-)