Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 pm
A good turn out of Clifton racers @Harworth for Donney Wheeler Rr.A few efforts to get away were quickly close down and the race fairly neutralized.Cam having
a couple of digs but not sticking.I tried to hold my position up the drag as this is where most things happen on the circuit.After about 5 laps out of 14 Cam punctured which was rotten luck and a pretty long walk back.!Talking of luck bad or good i had a dose of both today as 1. a rider came off in front of me and i just managed to miss him or i would have been down as well going straight on across the road and into a well positioned layby.2 Same spot 3 laps later ands printing out of corner nearly hit my chin on the bars as my chain snapped.One bloke said move to the left !! HOW i said!Gutted as i felt pretty good today.Mart JohnS and Phil all looking good from the side of the road.Not a good finish to a season that has seen a few of us get 3rd cat and a couple up there for 2nd cat.A learning curve for me which i hope to improve on next year.well done all.cheers

d

by timj Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 pm
Just seen results well done John.top ten

by PhilBixby Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm
Joined Tim, Cam, John, Mart and Nigel down at Harworth for the traditional season closer. A glorious day - sunny and warm - to close out what has been a pretty wonderful year's racing, weather-wise, at least. One of those days when I was able to stay in the front half of the bunch most of the time and close gaps when needed, and made sure I was in the right place when any splits happened - although they all came back together. A nervous last lap, and nearly had my front wheel taken out by someone switching line to go down the wrong side of the solid white lines; sprinting from thirtieth wasn't good enough. Probably about twentieth on the line, a short way behind Martin. 254W for two hours - serious enough to feel pleased with my ride.

Incidentally Tim understates the drama of his "moment" and the skill involved in not coming off. As we sprinted out of the corner I saw Tim about a dozen bikes ahead of me, seemingly stood on his front wheel and going sideways. I instinctively swung towards the edge of the road to avoid what I was sure would be the imminent pile-up, but instead just passed Tim freewheeling (and swearing at the bloke who'd told him to move to the left!). Full marks. And well done John, and bad luck Cam!

by JohnS Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 pm
Thanks guys,

Good race today in glorious sunshine. Not what I was expecting and what a difference a week makes after last Sunday. As you've read, bad luck for Tim and Cam, both of whom looked good and would have certainly been up in the results without their mechanical woes.

Pretty uneventful race for me with the exception of the crash Tim mentioned. Like Tim I was lucky not to be taken out. Apart from that, it was a nice safe circuit with wide corners and the NEG motorbikes did a great job of controlling the traffic.

Felt comfortable for most of the race, and actually felt good up the little climb to the finish. Saxton last week must have done me some good.

Planned to go at the last corner, but the pace ramped up on the last lap and coming out of the corner I was no better than mid-pack and way down on where I wanted to be. However, I must be improving as I managed to move up through the bunch relatively easily and found myself passing riders as we sprinted! 5th in the sprint was just enough to take a 10th place.

Great to finish on a high and looking forward to next year already!

by nigelt Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:14 am
Not such a good race for me. As with The first Kirby Misperton race this year I felt fine for the first half of the race, comfortable on the climbs and happy moving through the bunch. Then out of nowhere I just ran out of steam! I went off the back on the long rise after the left hand turn, got back on before the turn onto the finish then went off the back again shortly after.

That was it for me, I knew I wouldn't get back on after that so called it a day.

I've really enjoyed racing this year and looking forward to next year. Lots of work to do over the winter after a few weeks of steady rides to give my old back a rest! :D

by JohnS Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:47 pm
Sorry to hear that Nigel. You looked fine when we spoke mid-race. The pace did ramp up on that section as it seemed a favourite spot for attacks.

Apologies if this is a daft question but are you eating enough? I'm no expert and there are plenty more qualified/or experienced than me, but from what you are saying it might be your just running out of fuel. If you are comfortable during the first half it doesnt sound like you are working above your threshold which isn't sustainable long term.

I'll take a gel before the start and one mid-race (on a particularly tough race like Saxton i had another in the last 3rd, but didn't need that yesterday). This is in addition to a bottle of energy drink. I use the SIS carbo powder and gels which work for me but there are plenty of options out there.

Interested on what others do. Maybe a point for discussion on the 10th.

Best regards

John

by mart66 Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:36 pm
What a lovely day for a bike race!

Quite enjoyed that, though I was left with mixed emotions. On one hand I was happy to finish at the front end of the bunch but on the other hand feel I should have pushed myself and tried to get out into one of the breaks on the last lap.

As it was I was in the main bunch for the final sprint. Managed to get myself into a good position coming up the hill, got blocked a bit by the guys in front of me who started to go backwards but in the end was outsprinted. Was passed on the right hand side by John and a few others. thought I was about 4 behind John but, looking at the results, I presume a few more must have passed me.

If this was May/June I would be very happy with that result - gives me something to work on, but, unfortunately, it'll have to wait until next season.

Bad year for me but I do feel more confident moving around the bunch and positioning myself so not totally wasted.

Well done John and unlucky you guys that suffered mechanicals.

Martin

d

by timj Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:40 pm
Mart i was in the same situation last year.I couldn't even finish a race and it took some hard thinking about what to do over winter because it does take commitment and with a young family precious time to train.Stick at it and look forward to racing next year.cheers Tim

by mart66 Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:06 pm
Cheers Tim.
I'm looking forward to winter training strangely.

There is a video of the finish on Donny Wheelers Facebook page which makes for interesting viewing. Counting back from John I was 17th. In my mind I was a lot closer!!

The breakaway won by some distance.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater