Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by nigelt Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:39 pm
Airedale Olympic Day at Dishforth 4th Cat races for me today. Not the biggest Clifton turn out, only me and JohnB (trying road racing for the first time). Indeed not the biggest turnout overall (the usual van selling coffee had even been replaced with a Smart Car with a coffee machine bolted into the rear to reflect the reduced attendance !).

About 40 of us started the first 4th Cat race- 5 laps in around 40 mins. What had started as a sunny still day when we arrived soon clouded over and as always at Dishforth the wind picked up! Each lap followed the traditional Dishforth pattern of 50kph on the downwind leg and a grinding 30kph into the wind.

Felt pretty good all race and after my last visit here I made sure I was in the first 10 as we approached the finish. My position to the right side of the bunch seemed good until, as we approached the last right hander and started to kick, several riders cut the corner leaving me with nowhere to go.

I had no option but to hit the anchors to avoid going onto the grass, and when I kicked again the change of speed unshipped my chain and wrapped it round my rear mech. End of race! I replaced the chain and rolled over the line in last place. Gutted!

Well done to John B who placed in the top 10 in his first race.

In the second race I fared much better. This race was much harder as a much reduced field (only 15 of us in total- 6 guys and 9 girls) removed the chances of sitting in. A break of 3 (including the two 1st cat girls) went away and stayed away. The rest of us started to through and off to try and get them back, however with the wind soon only 4 of us were working, then two. Myself and a Crosstrax rider basically pulled the bunch round for three of the five laps, with the others either unwilling or unable to work.

Managed to avoid disaster in the sprint this time and ended up with a 4th place, which I'm well pleased with- my first BC points!

Despite the small turn out this was another good day's racing, with the second race particularly hard with no real chance to shelter.

r

by timj Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 pm
Well done Nig and John b.

R

by timj Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:59 pm
Down to Bawtry for Phil and self with a trip to Richard Hoyland RR 2/3/4.A windy day for the 64 mile race. Aafter a2 week hol didn't know how i would go .Felt pretty good for about 60mile and was mostly neare the front with a few bout drifting back to have a breather suddenly my left leg started cramping and a few minutes laterseized up completely.Had to stop with just 1.5 laps to go.Set off and finished after what must have been a m ad sprint to the line with a couple of lads on the deck.Phil looking good in what was a cage y race.The wind preventing any breaks sticking and the rest of the course super fast keeping everything together not for lack of trying by the strongest boys.Enjoyed these 2/3/4 races and if nothing else must improve u as a racer and also how much u can dig in to survive the faster pace and longer attacks.good stuff cheers [/b]

by PhilBixby Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 am
Yup it was a hard day at Braithwell; plenty of 2nd cats in the field and the stiff westerly shaping the race. Wild fluctuations in pace, with the climb into the wind nearly involving trackstanding and touching forty each lap on the run towards the start/finish. I've done this race loads of times (it's varied between 3/4 and 2/3/4 over the years) and - like Tim having had a few weeks off the bike due to holidays - finishing in the bunch was my target this time. In the event, there was sufficient mucking around on the fast run-in to slip down the inside and at least get near the top twenty, but unfortunately (especially for him) a young rider came down right in front of me and I had to take to the grass. 250W for 2½ hours. Full marks to Tim for having a good go at it.