Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:58 am
Is anyone out on sat?

by AndyM Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 pm
I might be there but if so I won't be out for the full morning as I'll be Tan Hill-ing on Sunday.

For those that do turn up, it's Leeds Festival in Bramham this weekend so I would steer clear of the westerly route.

by JohnS Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:41 pm
I'm not out either Tim, racing in the Alborosa York Circuit Race at 3.

Out on Sunday for Tan Hill as well.

Best regards

John

by mart66 Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:39 pm
My slight cold of last weekend developed into full blown flu by Wednesday (to term it manflu would not do it justice). Couldn't get out of bed until this morning and really should have stayed there for another day I think.

Hopefully be back out next week.

Martin

by mart66 Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:41 pm
ps - what was the race like on Wednesday, John? I was disappointed to have to pull out.

by JohnS Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:07 am
Marty,

Get well soon!

Wednesday's race was tough! Short 2 mile triangular circuit with a climb up to the finishing line. It wasn't steep but certainly stressed the legs at race speed and with 17 laps it hurt towards the end. It was more like a crit with a hill. Up the climb, sprint out of the sharp almost 180 corner, hammer down the straight into the wind, sprint out of the corner still descending, sprint out of the next corner and back to the climb! It did feel relentless.

Never felt comfortable as you seemed to be working all the time and it was certainly a race to stay near the front. At one point it looked like the bunch was split with a group of 10 or so (including Richard) off the front, but I think everyone realised and it was brought back very quickly.

The winning move went about half way when Paul Caswell from Harrogate Nova attacked on his own on the downhill. This livened things up again and a chase group of 4 got away. With about 5 laps to go the chase group was brought back but Paul was away and won convincingly with a great solo ride.

This left a bunch sprint for the minor placings. I was in my usual outside the points and Richard had a good go at contesting the sprint but got boxed in and I don't think he came away with anything.

Overall it was a good race and I enjoyed it (after the event!). There were a few times during when I just wanted it to stop, but I hung in and was pleased to be there at the finish, lots weren't!

See you soon

John