Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by JohnS Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:16 am
Few Clifton faces at last nights event at the York Circuit. I had intended to ride the 3/4 event but got my timings wrong. It started an hour earlier than the previous events (7pm not 8pm) so I arrived just in time to see a fairly large bunch set off on their first lap :(

With no option I entered the second 2/3/4 race which, looking at the start sheet was almost entirely 2nd Cats with 3 or 4 3rds!

Watched the first half and saw Sharpie do his usual trick of riding off the front (joined by ex-Clifton rider Jacob) and these 2 continued to do a 2-up time trail for the rest of the race. A couple of riders tried to get across but by that time the bunch had woken up and they were hauled back. With no organised chase however, Sharpie and Jacob were putting a couple of seconds into the bunch each lap.

I didn't see the end but understand Sharpie won with Jacob second. Well done guys.

So I lined up with a a smaller bunch of lean looking 2nd Cats and some degree of trepidation. I shouldn't have worried. The pace was fast but manageable and I managed to keep a relatively comfortable position. Had a couple of little digs off the front but nothing that was going to worry anyone.

Came in 11th in the sprint which was frustrating to miss out on the points but given the company I was pretty pleased. I should have gone much earlier in the last lap and would have probably placed! Oh well there is always next time!

Well done to Paul (and any one else who was having a go for the first time). Let us know how it went.

John

by Paul W Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am
Well done John.stopped and watched the 2/3/4 race.looking strong.
After been stuck in traffic on my way to the circuit.I only managed 1 lap warm up.for me that wasn't enough.so onto the start line I went.brief word with Sharpy telling him I wouldn't be following him.a compliment aimed at him.1st lap was comfortable for me.but not knowing what to expect.bang.the speed ramped up and after about 9/10 laps I ended up blowing up.so sat up for a lap and waited for the bunch to come through again and jumped back on for as long as I could.seeing Richard come through chatting away while I was puffing and blowing only means I need to get fitter.but enjoyed it and wil definatley behhaving another go.

by Sharpy Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:01 pm
Yep, another good outing for me. Got in the 3/4 race, 6 laps in Jacob made a move that we had talked about before the race and I hooked up to his wheel. The key to making a break (in my very short experience) is hit the front hard and fast and get 4 laps (on that course) of all out effort, if you can make 10-15 seconds it should stick pretty well as people in the pack complain and shuffle about who is going to do the chasing.

So working with Jacob we hammered it out, we contested the first prime (£10 prize for each) which I took, however I knew that if we wanted to make it to the end then we could not contest the 2nd one, we agreed that Jacob would take the 2nd Prime and we would contest the finish for the win.

The pack seemed to close in a couple of times but we just kept digging in and when you look at the lap times we were within about 3 seconds or so each lap which is pretty consistent!

At the end Jacob suggested that as I had done the bulk of the work that I should take the win, I would have preferred to contest it as we have both worked and I doubt I could do it on my own, however I sprinted for the line anyway just to finish off the pain!

Average speed was somewhere around 26mph for us so another good TT effort, I fear I may become a marked man soon....

Good racing and another 10 points in the bag, 2 races left for me this season, but I have really enjoyed it and looking forward to next season.

Well done to everyone who raced from Clifton, especially Paul W and any other first timers, its tough but you learn by doing and rarely is the strongest, fastest or fittest the winner.

Cheers
Sharpy

by Jess Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:28 pm
Well done Rich - is fantastic to see how well you are doing, especially after a couple of injury interrupted seasons. :-)

Well done to everyone else too - I can never get back from work for these. Maybe next year (excuses excuses)