Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by mattmarsden78 Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:54 pm
I'm wanting to give racing a go but wondering when and where do I start. I know I need a licence and a BC membership so once I have these where's the best place to start? I'd hate to roll up at the circuit and take out everyone behind me cause of my in experience.

Do any of you seasoned racers have any advise on training, nutrition, and techniques? All advice great fully received.

Thank you.

by Sharpy Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 pm
Alright Matt,

There is some stuff on here about membership and the like, I went for BC Silver membership and I started with a provisional licence, that is cheaper at first and you can race to see if you like it then upgrade to a full race licence, worth noting that you can't gain points on a provisional licence though.

As a starter for 10 would consider watching some racing, there tends to be a race up at York Sports Village (at the uni) most Tuesdays, you can see what its all about.

That said I have seen you riding and I don't think you will struggle much to get to grips with, concentrate on not hitting the wheel in front and hold your line in the corners (i.e don't aim for the apex as if there are riders inside you you will get abuse at best or crash at worst).

As for nutrition, if the race is less than 60mins I take a gel before and make sure I am hydrated but won't bother in the race, anything over I will carry another gel and some energy drink.

Finally expect it to be fast a furious, not like the Friday night rides after work. Don't be a hero and chase everything down, trust me I am a sucker for that!!

Cheers

Sharpy

by mattmarsden78 Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:52 pm
Thanks Sharpy,

I saw a couple at tockwith when Toby was riding the other year. Will pop over one Tuesday, then maybe give it a go the following week. Can't promise I won't try chase everything down tho. I imagine I'll blow up a few times before I complete a race.

We'll see.

by Paul W Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:05 am
Hi Matt.altho I've done 1 road race event.I'm having a go at York sport this tues night just to have fun if nowt else if you fancy it.

by mattmarsden78 Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 pm
Thanks for the offer Paul. I don't have the BC membership yet so can't really. When I get sorted ill definitely be up for that. Send me your details and ill give you a shout.

by MikeG Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:22 am
You can just get a day license on the day and give it a try - no need to go the whole hog until you've tried it and decide you want to do more.

I've not been to the York circuit but maybe someone who has can confirm if this is possible there?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... ---Track-0

by Paul W Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:19 pm
Matt.I raced at York for the 1st time last Tuesday.3/4 cat.really enjoyed it even tho it was fast and furious.you can just turn up as I did and get an eol and day license.the racing was close but quite safe.

by PhilBixby Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:22 pm
As per postings above, turning up at a circuit event and getting a day licence is certainly a good way to get a number on your back, and plenty of racers in the club have started this way. Only comment I'd make is it's different to road racing, and I'd recommend having a go at both. With the RR season so near its end (depressing really!) your best bet there is to put a proper winter's training in (plus whatever experience you go for on the circuit) and plan - and get early entries in for - races next year. And get BC Silver/Gold membership and a licence over the winter.

by Sharpy Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:35 pm
PhilBixby wrote:and get early entries in for - races next year..

This... I agree with this! I missed out on so many races as I was waaaaaaaay to slow getting entries in... planning next season already!!

Road Racing does differ from Crit racing but you learn a lot about group rising on the Crit races and that can transfer to road, tactics are different on the road though.

I speak like someone with loads of experience.... I am not... listen to PhilB! :D