Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Sharpy Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:19 pm
Is there a training ride on this Saturday? Not seen anything up here so don't want to come up to York to find no one wants to play out!!

Also the South route is now looking pretty darn good, they have properly resurfaced the road to Howden , the road is now like a race track with all Elephant traps removed! Its a lovely stretch now! :shock:

by mart66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:11 am
I'll hopefully be out.

The south route sounds interesting now the roads have finally been done but it's flat as a pancake. I was hoping it was a Malton week.

cheers

Martin

by AndyM Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:52 am
Don't think I'll be out this week - going to go and play in the hills in the Peak District instead :)

by nickb Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:02 pm
I'll be out. South route = flying tailwind back, Malton = grinding headwind back :? I don't mind which!

by mart66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 pm
That's a good point.

by nigelt Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 pm
Should be out. Tailwind and shiny new road surface sounds good!

by Sharpy Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:12 am
I may have been a bit hasty, the road may be closed just before Melbourne, I am going to head that way on the way home today so will confirm, but if its open it should be a good run down.

by Sharpy Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 pm
South is all good!!

I will be there we can decide in the morning! :)

by mart66 Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:24 pm
What a difference a day makes. Thursday's commute in the rain has left me with a bit of a cold.

Should still be out but the southern route definitely looking more attractive.

by Sharpy Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:25 pm
Tough session today.

Out of town I have as best part of 24mph, thats pretty quick.

Good ride everyone!

Cheers

Sharpy

by mart66 Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:02 pm
I'm glad that I got my excuses in early.

My heart sunk when I saw the calibre of riders that were out (including some new faces on high end bikes - never good if you don't feel 100%).

It was at around 47 miles that I fell off the back - the turn off the a19 and up the little ramp did for me. Better than what I expected as it turns out but I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to sit in until we got back to York.

Great to see so many guys going really well though. I'm sure it wasn't this hard last year!

Martin

by Sharpy Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:23 pm
I was surprised Mart, you were looking good and strong! I expected you to make it back with us, and I think if you were 100% you would have! Good effort considering, that little ramp is a stinger after a few big efforts as well!

by nickb Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Yeah that was a hard ride! Think there were 5 of us left at the end in the front group. i was hanging on

by Cam B Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:34 am
mart66 wrote:I'm glad that I got my excuses in early.

My heart sunk when I saw the calibre of riders that were out (including some new faces on high end bikes - never good if you don't feel 100%).

It was at around 47 miles that I fell off the back - the turn off the a19 and up the little ramp did for me. Better than what I expected as it turns out but I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to sit in until we got back to York.

Great to see so many guys going really well though. I'm sure it wasn't this hard last year!

Martin

In 3/4 races - most of the time - there aren't riders as strong as Phil, Rich, Nick and Ed. You should do well in the races you have got left Martin. I definitely found it hard - I was hanging on to Rich's pannier straps at the end. But it's great to get out with the fast guys as it can only make you stronger. It was after Stillingfleet that Phil and Rich decided to really "rip it up" and put in a few monster turns. We were nudging 37 mph at some points, albeit with a bit of a tailwind. It did not go unnoticed (by me anyway) that out of the 6 of us it was only Mike (new Clifton recruit..who will be a 3rd Cat this time next week :wink: ) and I had anything like normal sized calf muscles! An extra shredded wheat in my breakfast bowl from now on I think :) . Sorry Mike - we never got that p...stop...The thru and off started very early on...I could have done with a comfort break myself but by the end didn't "feel the need"... funny that...With all the exertion it was as if my body decided that it could not part with any vital fluids after all :shock:

by MikeG Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:20 am
I popped off just before Wheldrake after closing one gap too many as the big guns started to get frisky. I was glad of Jon for company on the way back in to town and still ended up with 22.8 for the out of town bit. Not quite what my legs needed yesterday but I'm sure it did me good and it was good to get out. Thanks all. :)