Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 am
I'm going to be busy this Saturday (in fact for the next few - a mixture of work and upcoming races on the Sundays) so can someone within the pool of "regulars" suggest routes and keep an eye on proceedings please, so the rides are tidy and we don't end up with anyone lost in the wilds? Ta!

by AndyM Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:17 pm
Let's go west - Bish, Tadcaster, Thorner, Aberford, Sherburn and back into York via Bishopwood, Cawood and Naburn. Unless there are any objections?

Are there any races this weekend? Would be good to have a nice sized group out compared to just 3 of us last week :)

by Paul W Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:09 pm
What sort of average speed is the training ride at this time of year? I'd like to try but wouldn't want to hold the group up or get lost in the wilderness

by AndyM Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 pm
It'll be my first one in a while, but I think someone said they rattled off this route a couple of weeks ago at about 21.5mph average.

The route is the same as posted here: http://discussion.cliftoncc.org/viewtopic.php?t=5266

There are a few lumps, but if you're comfortable enough with the faster folks at 0845 you should be okay, Paul.

See you in the square at 9am.

by Paul W Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:09 am
Thanks Andy.brisker 8.45 is quite comfortable for me atm so I may give the training ride a go but if no1 minds me sitting in a bit if I'm struggling then I shud be there.

by nigelt Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:56 am
There are a few of us racing at Dishforth on Saturday Andy so that may impact on training ride numbers. I should be out next Saturday hopefully

by AndyM Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:42 pm
A good ride this morning - nice to be back out on the 9am's again. A strong group of 7 made for good progress to Thorner into the headwind and worked well together. Selection was made towards the end of the lap of Bishopwood leaving Nick, Richard, Jon and self for a fast run in to York. 22.2mph average for the out-of-town loop, so not hanging around.

How'd the racing at Dishforth go?
Last edited by AndyM on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by JohnS Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:26 pm
No results at Dishforth I'm afraid but an enjoyable race. Only Cam,and I in the 3/4's and Nigel in the 4ths.

I'm not particularly keen on Dishforth, it being just a big loop and a bit dull, but I enjoyed it this morning. A big bunch off around 60 and a decent average speed of just a shade under 26mph. The far side of the circuit which parallels the A1 had a side tail wind this morning and this led to speeds touching 38mph down here, but as soon as the circuit turned back into the wind everything ground to a halt.

This effectively shaped the race with a few small breaks getting away (1 including Cam), but they were always brought back on the fast section.

It came down to a sprint but I just wasn't positioned properly into the last corner and just didn't have the legs. Rolled in with Cam in the top 20 but not enough for any points.

Despite the slightly anti-climatic end I enjoyed myself. Just lacking that last little bit of top end speed, but nice still to be there after a week off.

Didn't hang around after so didn't see how Nigel got on but I'm sure he will post.

Planning to ride York on Tuesday as a change from the chain gang but should be out on the training ride next Saturday.

John

by nigelt Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:01 pm
4th Cat race for me. Hard work riding into the wind in some parts, flying in others- like the 3/4s we were hitting 38mph on the long downwind straight then barely managing 20mph into the wind. Finished in the top 20 again making up places in the last 200 metres but not enough. I felt pretty good but simply didn't put myself in a good position for the finish. Something I definitely need to work on for next year. 28km at an average of 40kph according to my Garmin.

I also rode the handicap race at the end of the day. Not many people left by then so all the groups were small which made riding into the wind a real challenge. Not much to say, I didn't have the legs at the end and packed after 5 of 6 laps.

Another good day's racing. Just need to convert it into a placing now...

by Cam B Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:16 am
Not my best race this season. Felt a bit leggy really...That and a combination of sheer doziness meant I was nowhere near in contention for the sprint.
On a positive note ( sorry to steal your thunder Tim) but Tim acquired the necessary points on Thu night, at a circuit race in Middlesbrough, to enable him to move to 3rd Cat :D. Well deserved! He has been "making the race" all season with his aggressive riding. He was at it again in the 3/4 race, which I also did on Thu, when he was attacking off the front and then gesticulating for others to come with him :D. Great stuff Tim.