Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by menticknap Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:02 am
A bit of a surprise, but we seem to have a few spaces remaining and I want to get them filled!
Check out the BC website and enter on-line a.s.a.p.!
Good luck, Maffers.

by Antlazarus Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 am
Could I grab a lift with anyone? I can get to anywhere around York.

Cheers,
Anthony

by Cam B Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:35 am
Anthony...I can give you a lift if you still need one?

Cam

by nigelt Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:19 am
Ant, it might be better for you jump in with Cam rather than me. I've already arranged to take Neil and I think Andy Johnson might be after jumping in with me as well. Let me know

by Antlazarus Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:49 pm
Ok, I'll grab a lift with you Cam if its still available. I've sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Anthony

by mart66 Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:48 pm
Can't make tonight's race unfortunately. I was looking forward to racing here again after getting caught behind the crash the last time.

I think the potholes are, pretty much, avoidable if you stay on the white line all the way through to the finish.

I don't know where Jacob attacked on the last lap but that rise half way round when the road swings to the right is a good place.

Anyway, good luck to all taking part.

Martin

by JacobBrown Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:57 pm
Well done everyone for tonight! Good to know the best team got the team prize at the end of it all ;)
Hope to see some of you on Saturday at Bishop Wilton for the hill climb :)

by PhilBixby Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:57 pm
Nearly half the riders were Clifton last night - on one of the climbs a Rock Racing rider asked "anyone here who isn't Clifton?" - and well done to those got placings. Tactics seemed a bit baffling - I'm sure we chased down quite a few of our own breaks. For whatever reason, the race stuck together all the way to the line.

It didn't start well - the commissaire's brief briefing ended with "off you go" so off we went - unfortunately the lead cars didn't go too and we ended up grinding to a lengthy halt to let hem come past. The circuit was still riddled with potholes - Maffers had been making efforts to get repairs done but sadly they didn't happen in time and as a consequence there was much weaving around and swearing on the worst bits.

The other bit of excitement for me was provided by the bloke who got cramp on the run-in towards the finish, who unclipped and weaved around going "Oooooh! Owwww!" - I was stuck just behind/inside him and by the time there was a gap in the bunch to nip past I had a chase back on and everyone spread full-road-width in front of me. The sprint was chaotic and I simply followed Tim over the line for about twentieth. Speed sensor had an evening off but 265W for an hour and fifteen, so not hanging around.

Well done and thanks to all the event organisers of this series - it's worked well. Two new faces to run the two Clifton events next year, assuming it all happens again?

by GrahamMartin Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm
The less said about my shocking performance, the better.

The results from last night aren't on the BC website, but when they are, we should gain a spot on the regional rankings, setting up a nice showdown with now-below-us Doncaster Wheelers at Tumby's.

As I've previously said, we should 'out-source' one of our races to Selby or Harrogate, as North Yorkshire clubs with notable numbers of entries in the league. And investigate a Saxton race.

by Cam B Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:32 pm
PhilBixby wrote: Tactics seemed a bit baffling - I'm sure we chased down quite a few of our own breaks. For whatever reason, the race stuck together all the way to the line.

Yes.. it was a tad confusing at times!I was probabaly as guilty as anyone.... and I'm sure Damien is fed up of us following his wheel everytime he makes a move :). When is a break a break or is it just a split in the bunch...the margins are so small in these races. We have talked about talking about tactics all season...Not sure that we can have tactics as such as everyone as their own ambitions but probably need to think about some of the principles of racing as part of a team in a race which has already been referred to on the discussion board by some of the experienced racers.

But we have done pretty well anyway since we won the team prize for the series as a whole :D. I have the Shield which I will get engraved. I am not precious about it and will happily give to anyone else who wants to have the pleasure of looking at it/caressing it :shock: or whatever.... Watch this space for arrangements re: the open top bus tour to show off this splendid trophy :D
Well done everyone and thanks to Maffers again for arranging last night.

Although the results are not out yet Anthony definitely got a top 10 so well done Anthony. I might have zig zagged my way thru the melee to 10th or more likely nth.