Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by mart66 Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 pm
Anyone riding out to this tomorrow?

Also, can someone give me an idea of the course. I've got a rough idea but can't remember it fully.

Cheers

by Antlazarus Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:46 pm
Yeah I've been trying to figure out the course through strava searching but to no avail. It looks like a hilly one!

I'll be riding out from York (nr cycleworks) at 5.15. Reckon a slow spin out will take best part of an hour.

Let me know if you want to join,
Anthony

by mart66 Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:02 am
Are you going up Wigginton Rd? I live that side of town so will try and meet you on the way.

It's a good route tonight. A rise into Crayke which we go over a few times and then a hill finish. Just can't remember the full course.

by Antlazarus Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:05 pm
Yeah I will be heading out on the Wigginton Road. I'm going to set off from York at 5.15, so I can pick you up on the way if you want.

Finally found the course, I think it goes from brandsby, fast section to Crayke, through Crayke towards a T junction and then left to Stillington. The road bends round to the left and heads back up towards brandsby.

by mart66 Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:30 pm
I'll aim to get to wiggy rd at the ring rd for about 17:30. Don't wait for me if I'm not there though.

That route sounds about right. Hold something back though as the last lap finishes up the hill.

by JacobBrown Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:41 pm
Well done to everyone competing tonight. I hear Cam got 2nd? I got 8th, wondered if any other clifton riders placed?

by JohnS Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:41 pm
Well done Jacob,

Good result for Clifton tonight with ( I think) Muzzy taking 6th and Rich nipping in for 10th. That puts 4 Clifton in the top 10. Well done guys.

Slightly annoyed I didn't have more of a go at the end. Psyched myself out of attacking Yearsley and although rode up reasonably hard felt I could and should have worked harder just before the climb to be in a position to compete for a place. Rolled over for 17th.

Still easier to say that sitting here!

Good nights racing though on a sporting course on a lovely evening.

Thanks to Cycleworks for the organisation and all the helpers for a great night.

John

by JacobBrown Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:32 pm
yeah forgot to say, i think having a hill to finish off the race was a brilliant way of doing things!

by mart66 Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm
Great race last night. Really enjoyed it. Shame my legs gave up on me on the steepest part of the climb!

Well done to Cycleworks for a well run event on a great course. It would be great if we could race on courses like this more often.

Great ride by all Clifton guys but big congratulations to those guys in the top 10 (all 4!).

Cheers

by paulM Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:29 pm
Yes a great night and thanks to Fraz and all at Cycleworks for putting on a top event on what I reckon is Yorkshires best road race circuit. Even without the finish climb it is a circuit with a bit of everything to suit everybody! I'm not sure if the finish climb kills the race a bit. As proved unless you have a big gap you will be caught. The two guys away on the last lap deserved to stay away!
I'd banked on the race being decided on the final climb so just treated it like a hill climb and made sure I wasnt carrying anything I didnt need - and it was warm enough not to even need a vest! Had been up it a few times in recent weeks and tried a few different things so I had a strategy which I stuck to coming in 6th. But I think this was my only chance this year of a decent place so at least glad I got something. Congratulations to Cam who did a very well measured ride for 2nd and well done to everyone else. There cant have been more than two dozen riders left at the end and Clifton must have still had a third of those. I'm not usually a big fan of evening races as they just seem to be a load of stress but I'd taken the day off to give myslfe time for a steady ride out. A lovely evening and 70 miles in the legs by the time I got home. A near perfect day.

by GrahamMartin Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Well done everyone, we picked up:
2nd Cam (12)
6th Paul (5)
8th Jacob (3)
10th Richard (1)
= 21 points for the club. Should push us back past V.S. Cycles Brighouse and back into 10th on Yorkshire region clubs, but only just.

I agree with Paul - it's one of the best circuits and should be used more often. In fact, the whole area is under-utilised. I had a word with Phil Bixby about reinstating the club 2-day event - Saturday on Yearsley-Oulston and Sunday on Brandsby-Crayke-Stillington w/Yearsley Bank 'summit' finish (same HQ both days), but there's obviously biggish cost and volunteering issues to overcome (we'd be charging £25 minimum for entry).

Screwed up my first ascent of Crayke and must have passed the pub at the top with the rear of the bunch 10 meters ahead of me - whilst I managed to hold you all to within 25 meters for the next 5 minutes, it wasn't happening. Suspect a bit of a loss of concentration as well. Ended up riding 1.5 laps with the Ilkley rider who came down in the Thorganby race crash, before deciding to potter up the hill to be nearer the finish when the race passed. The race seemed to be a sea of red and black as it came towards me.

Did a lot of people pull out before the final hill climb? Or were there a lot of riders missing from the race itself? It didn't feel like more than 25 who made it to the top! Well done Clifton for sticking it out!

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:03 pm
I've said it before, Clifton's strongest riders go better on hard courses, which always makes me wonder why you run your own promotions on flat courses.

Well done guys

by Cam B Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:02 pm
Thanks to Fraz and the crew…a great event :D
Really good team riding all round from Clifton. When Paul had a dig at one point it was good to see 3 Clifton riders just unsettling things by sitting on the front. There was shout of “They’re blocking!” I think we should take that as a compliment! Managed to lose my bottle early on which threw me a little bit – especially on such a warm evening. I had managed to get up the road for half a lap with another guy when I noted I was bidon-less. I looked enviously at his 2 bottles and wondered at what point we could officially call ourselves “breakaway buddies” and I could ask him for a drink. The bunch caught us on the fast bit after Crayke so I didn’t have to worry about that dilemma anymore. Apparently my bottle got stuck in someone’s front wheel skewer (not sure how that happens unless he sharpens them!) and caused a bit of damage…not least of which to my bottle…which is now sadly a write-off :shock: . Thanks to John and Tim for giving me a drink…I was parched! Like Paul I had checked out the finishing climb a few times in recent weeks and it was well worth the effort. It’s a very tricky climb to say the least. Took it quite conservatively initially which paid off….after that it’s just a grind. Have to thank Damien for letting me follow his wheel for the last couple of k before the climb. Made a big difference as he guided me near the front whilst giving me some shelter…an armchair ride no less!

by AndyM Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:46 am
Well done folks, sounds like a good night out for Clifton!

by GrahamMartin Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:06 am
Cam - I realise Alba Rosa are the new threat on the block, but that's no way to reduce their numbers! Still, I'm guessing you bottle will be cheaper to replace than his wobbly wheel. :P

Next year, perhaps we can run one of our two evenings on this course. Mayhaps we get one of the other clubs that's riding in big numbers to take over Wistow or Wheldrake from us. Its a great series, and starting a month earlier for 8 races wouldn't hurt.