Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by AndyM Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:31 pm
Looks like I've managed to get a ride, along with a few others, for Sunday's 2/3/4 race on the North Newbald circuit, but I've not seen the circuit before.

Any chance someone could describe the circuit for me? Would be good to know what I've let myself in for before I get there :)

Danke!

by PhilBixby Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:40 pm
I'll email you the risk assessment I did for our RR two years back, complete with photos. Basically there's a bloomin' great hill to the finish, a narrow wiggly undulating second leg, a long steady descent with a couple of kicks up, two left turns and you're back on the hill. Maffers' description of "being sick in (his) mouth" at the EYRRL event on it sums it up! :D

by Dr Dave Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 am
It's all about that hill!

by Cam B Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:13 am
I don't think it is that circuit. There are a few that they use round there. I think this is the one referred to as the Little Weighton circuit. No hill in it as steep as the one described above but far from a pan flat circuit. Long draggy stretch to start with - sharp left than a fast decent - little rise than right - left again on a bit of a rise - left then a fast decent. Long drag up to finish.

by PhilBixby Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am
Hull Thursday have circuit maps at http://htrc.co.uk/road-racing/rr-courses/

As Cam says if it's that one. Line up with care for the fast left-hander after the descent from the radio masts - the first time I rode that circuit I massively misjudged it and had to pick a gap in the surrounding riders in order to go straight on! :oops:

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:22 pm
Little Weighton is a good circuit for you Andy, chances are a break will go with a few strong 2nd cats in the mix...make sure you're paying attention fella.

by paulM Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:05 pm
Its the usual Little Weighton / Riplingham circuit and not North Newbald or the Markington / Little Weighton circuit. It a right good,safe circuit this one - apart from a horse nearly bringing down half the bunch last year!

by AndyM Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:19 pm
Thanks for all the info guys, and thanks very much Phil for the e-mail. It does look like it's the Little Weighton circuit, sorry for the confusion! All sounds positive though - I like a draggy climb. Would love to be in that break Darren, and will keep an eye out, but we'll see how I'm going - going to be hard with a bunch of strong 2nd cats.

Thanks all!

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:46 pm
They won't all be strong 2nd cats, Andy, half of them will have ridden round Dishforth to get it.

by JohnS Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 am
Andy,

Have you got a start-sheet? I'm trying to find out whether I'm down to ride. Have dropped an email to the organiser but no reply as yet.

Thanks

John

by AndyM Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm
Hi John, yep you're on the start sheet I received, along with Cam, Paul M and myself. If you want I can email you the info the organiser sent - just drop me a PM with your email address.

by JohnS Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 pm
Great thanks Andy

I'll PM you now

Best regards

John

by AndyM Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:53 pm
So woke up this morning still without the ability to change gear and grip the bars with my right hand, so no racing for me. A nice walk, cappuccino and cake at Studley Royal with the family instead.

How'd you all get on?? :)

by JohnS Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:28 pm
Sorry to hear that Andy. You were missed on the start line.

Good race with a good field and plenty of decent 2nd cats meant it was pretty brisk for the first couple of laps. As Darren predicted a break of around 10 got away on the 2nd lap. No stats I'm afraid as my garmin's battery died literally on the start line, but I'm sure Cam or Muzzy will be able to fill this in.

Quiet race for me. Had all last week off the bike due to work commitments so I was just planning on getting round in 1 piece. Managed to stay pretty much towards the front which is encouraging but didn't have the confidence to try and do anything.

Worked to keep a decent position on the last lap and had a go in the sprint but thought all placings had gone so didn't really work. I really need to work harder mentally and commit at the end of these longer races. Rolled in top 20 but outside the points.

Cam was a bit more committed and looked good for 15th. He looked strong all race though. Muzzy had a cheeky little dig off the front on the last lap but was soon brought back.

Overall, despite the lack of reward a good mornings outing. A good course with a few lumps to test the field, and mercifully pothole free. Well organised and the sun shone. Can't ask for much more really, maybe a placing but that's down to me. Need to be more committed at the end!

by JohnS Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:48 pm
Well done Cam,15th place on the results!

Best regards

John