Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 pm
That sounds like a good route Paul.Wish I could make it.Have fun.Iam racing on the 13th Jacob and I should think a lot of the regs will be.We should have a proper go this next one,a few lumps to break it up a bit if possible.Maybe get together before the race,and have a chat at least.Anyone got any ideas about when and where to have a go so we r not all wasting ourselves on daft attacks or is that the way to go on here.I know the lumps r the obvious places.Any advice Paul or anyone.

by JacobBrown Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:18 pm
I think the lumps are going to encourage guys to try and break away but, if it's like any of the other races i've been in this year, the first 3 or so won't get very far.
Definitely worth staying near the front or attack though just because of all the potholes :?

by nigelt Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:23 pm
Was in 2 minds whether to ride this morning as my legs were still feeling Thursday's chain gang efforts, but I'm glad I did. I have to say the Kirby Misperton loop didn't really seem to add a huge amount of distance onto the ride so maybe we could incorporate it more often into the Malton loop? It was an excellent addition to what is always a hard training route. Strong group today, too strong for me after Terrington, so I (as usual!) rode back on my own from there.

Given the strength in the group, with a bit of coordination we should be able to place several riders in these NYERRL races. Perhaps Kirby M is the perfect place to start?

Thanks for the ride. See you on Thursday :D

by JohnS Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:15 pm
Agree with Nigel, the inclusion of the loop through Kirby Misperton was a great addition this morning. Hope it becomes regular feature of the Malton route going forward.

Good ride this morning. Group of 10 and a brisk but sensible pace to Malton with some very tidy riding. Pace picked up on the way back and some tidy pace line riding along the "10" course (ably marshalled by Muzzy) kept the average high and put a little hurt into the legs.

65 miles with an average of over 21mph including my steady ride in and out (I'm sure someone else has more accurate stats) added up to a top morning.

Oh and the sun was shining!

Thanks for your company guys. Good luck on Thursday (gutted I can't join you) and I look forward to hearing the report.

Best regards

John

by mart66 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:50 am
Yeah - definitely a good addition to the route.

The potholes are mostly on the finishing straight which is probably the best place to attack as it's the only uphill part. Some decent corners though so if you get away you can stay out of sight for a little while.

I was quite struck by how narrow the roads are. I hope they are quiet on Thursday!

Good ride today. I have the same stats as John: 65 miles - 21 mph average - which for the lumpy route isn't bad. Glad to be there at the end. Hopefully I've pulled myself out of the hole I was in a few weeks ago - thanks for the tips guys.

PS - RichT - just saw your post. Get well soon mate.

by leadshoes Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:03 am
It was an excellent ride and I agree with John, let's try and extend the ride a little; we are still getting back before 12. Lots of good riders out yesterday, I was particularly impressed by Wayne, fresh from a dose of blood clot on the lungs.

by paulM Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:35 pm
Yes a top ride yesterday - probably the best I've done and great to see so many riding strongly and still there at the end! Still think we need to work on the through and off. The stretch up to Sutton was a bit ragged although there were just about numbers for 2 lines but we were working far better back from there in one line with a less favourable wind. I'll keep saying it but this will be the difference between being in an unsuccessful break and one that stays away!

Back to Tims question I think if you have numbers in a race you should look at your individual strength and weaknesses. If a couple of guys are good in a break they should go for it and not wait for other teams to dictate. That means those that favour a sprint can sit in and if all goes to plan you could win the race and the sprint! Other team mates can do a bit of blocking or push the pace up to stretch out the bunch approaching the finish. There is a bit of do as I say not as I do in this - its all on the day with me these days!