Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:52 pm
I'll kick this off this week since racing is uppermost on my mind - today was the third of four races in just over a week. Down Newark way for the Newark Castle CC Ridge RR for elderly gentlefolk. Just AndyC and me in Clifton jerseys, both off in the C/D (50-59yo) race.

We got there early enough for a sighting lap of the circuit - a really good, rolling 9 miles with a rather wonderful gently downhill 30+mph three-miles-worth on one side of the rectangle. Blue skies and, despite a fresh breeze, the armwarmers were off. Pretty much as good as it gets. T'was not always thus - as ever Fred Easton providing the quotable quote:- "It was p***ing down last year, 'orrible. There's a dairy farm on the circuit and, well, it were everywhere. In me hair, in me mouth. I threw away me kit, it were that bad".

Unusually for a vets race, nothing got away. After watching the legendary Steve Marrows have a few tries pulled back I decided that futile valour was not to be my way, and tucked in, drifting up towards the front when the opportunity came along. Halfway through the final lap a number of strong-looking riders suddenly croaked and I found myself about tenth in line round the final left-hander (with AndyC close behind) and onto the gentle climb to the finish. Again unusually for a vets race there was a massive crashing of carbon in the midst of the bunch - but I got my head down and crossed the line about eleventh, and about seventh in my age group. Andy had a quick detour onto the grass thanks to the crash but he clearly took it in his stride, finishing just a couple of places further back. A good day out. 23.5mph over 42 miles and 245W average for me.

by RichardD Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:21 pm
234 Eric Biddulph Memorial for John S and I over at Holmfirth. Last year this event was held in sleet and freezing temperatures but today could not have been much better. I punctured last year and was hoping for a good result on this rolling course. Not to be. We had been warned about the pot holes and there were plenty of big ones. The bunch had thinned out to about 20 at half distance with John and I still there. I was feeling good and thought I would have quick bite to eat before the the fast guys went for it. Had my hand in my pocket when a pothole loomed 2 yards in front. With only one hand on the bars I could not bunny hop or swerve quick enough and hit it full on. Straight over the bars and slid down the road (were on a down hill stretch) about 10 yards. The paramedic cleaned me up by the roadside and a passing cyclist had a multitool to get the bike roadworthy enough to get back to HQ. When I got there three others had also hit holes or road debris and come off, one guy face first.
I was very lucky.
Damage to me: road rash on knee, hip, elbow, back and sholder. Nothing broken or bruised significantly.
Damage to bike: twisted front derailleur, bent back derailleur, shifters look like they have been filed down 5mm at the top and were twisted on the bars. Shirt ripped but a bit of Iron Mend will keep it functional. Spent this afternoon bending and taking the burr of the metal parts. Everything now fully functional. I was amazed the front wheel is still true and looks untouched (I can now personally recommend Shimano C24 RS80's, at least the front one, and Conti GP4000S').
I did not catch up with John after, but he looked to be going very well and I hope got up there at the end.
by timj Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:08 pm
This weekend I entered Ian Mountain Mem RR at South Kirby A2/3/4 race and at nearly 65 miles the longest I have raced for a while if not since I started racing.The course was a rolling one and 8 got away on the second of 10 laps.No one seemed too bothered and we did not get organised until they got a gap of about a minute.It was all thru and off from then on and I did my turn for a few laps and the gap came down surely but slowly.One thing I did notice was that as soon as the wind direction changed so did the side we went thru just like that.Even though the pace was higher than other races(26.3MPH/65MILES)it seemed that everything was a lot smoother and more organised.I stopped working so much with about 3 laps to go more due to wanting to finish with the sprint and being wary of the distance and the gap was about 25 seconds.2 just stayed away with the rest being swept up in sight of the line.Finished in the sprint about half way down the bunch with it just being a touch too fast at the end.See u Tuesday cheers
by timj Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:11 pm
Sorry to hear that Rich hope everything is ok.Bl dy pot holes

by JohnS Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:48 pm
As Rich has commented I joined him for the Eric Biddulph over at Holmfirth. A tough 5 mile circuit which was either going up or down. With a strong contingent of 2nd cats it was always going to be tough. By lap 3, of 8, I was seriously thinking I might have bitten off more than I could chew and had to really work to stay in contact.

Managed to hang on and then realised that as Rich had said the bunch had thinned out to around 20 and I was still there. Had a scare when I hit a pothole with enough force to shift my bars an extra couple of degrees down and twisted my right brake lever inwards. A quick thump straightened the lever but my gear index was pushed out of sync. Meant the next 3 laps were spent with jumping gears in the middle of the sprocket.

By lap 5 thought I was going to make it. Found out that 3 had gone clear to win followed by another 2, which probably took a little sting out of the depleted bunch.

Had a scare on lap 5 when I hit another pothole (the same spot as Rich it appears). Both hands shot off the bars and I shot forward with my chest hitting the stem. Managed to stay upright (god knows how) and survived but definitely burnt one of my 9 lives.

Very tired sprint saw me finish top 20 but out of the points (again).

In summary definitely the hardest race to date. Just under 23mph which given the profile is respectable. Pleased to have hung in and finished with the bunch.

Rich glad you are okay and not too much damage to the bike.

See you all on Tuesday

Best regards

John

by Broom Wagon Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:12 pm
Rich, glad you only got road rash and bruises, though that's bad enough, I expect you'll have an uncomfortable couple of nights. Crashing seems to have been the recurring theme for Clifton the last couple of years, let's hope we don't have any more for a good while.

by paulM Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:16 pm
Well done Tim - they've got you down as 9th in the provisional result! Had considered that one myself but I've entered the evening event on the same circuit next week.

Sorry to here of your crash Rich - hope you're not too sore over the next few days.

by Antlazarus Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:22 pm
For me a trip home to Leicestershire to see the family just happened to coincide with Lichfield CC crits at Curborough Sprint Course - a short course with a couple of very tight corners.

I entered the 4th Cat only race, and managed to stay at the front for the majority. I felt my cornering skills weren't upto the same standard as everyone else and a couple of riders would almost always pass me half way through a turn. So I made this my tactic - I would push the pace over a small hill with the wind behind me and then when we turned into the wind, I would be passed on the corner and then had a couple of riders to hide behind.

This worked fine until the last lap when those two riders realised they didn't want to be at the front and effectively stopped, with the group slamming into the back of them. A small bit of disarray meant that I lost a few positions. However, there was a pretty clean sprint to the line and I managed to grab 5th.

Does anyone feel really shattered the next day after racing? Admittedly I did ride home (30 miles) afterwards and then did a slow 30 miles this morning, but this afternoon has been pretty rough. Especially travelling on the train with your bike.

Sorry to hear about the crash, hope it clears up soon

by Melly Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:28 pm
GWS soon RichD, hope you have a speedy recovery!!

by Cam B Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:14 am
paulM wrote:Well done Tim - they've got you down as 9th in the provisional result! Had considered that one myself but I've entered the evening event on the same circuit next week.

Sorry to here of your crash Rich - hope you're not too sore over the next few days.

Yes....good stuff Tim...great ride!

Get better soon Richard

by Dr Dave Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:21 am
RichardD wrote:I was amazed the front wheel is still true and looks untouched (I can now personally recommend Shimano C24 RS80's, at least the front one, and Conti GP4000S').

Sorry to hear about the crash but glad nothing broken. Regarding the wheel, when I crashed head-on and destroyed my first Look frame the Shimano DA wheel was unscathed and is still going strong 3 yrs later. Can't recommend Shimano wheels enough!

by reubenbarrett Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm
Sorry to hear about your crash Rich - get well soon. I can strongly recommend Hydrocolloid dressings (Duo-derm make them) for road rash. They heal up amazing well and soak up all the lovely ooze. Your GP may give you them for free if you ask or you can order online.

by tomf Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 am
Gws Richard - sounds like a bit of a rollercoaster week!
Another vote for hydrocolloids, Granuflex secured by mefix/hypafix is a wonderful thing. Order by the yard from your local pharmacy.
Swift recovery,
tom