Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by YorkCycleworks Wed May 29, 2013 6:30 am
See you all tomorrow night(Thursday). Don't forget it's North Duffield Village Hall...

by PhilBixby Thu May 30, 2013 10:03 pm
Will let someone else post a more comprehensive report but by my shaky counting that was twelve Clifton riders out there this evening - the most for a long, long time. Even better, pretty much every go off the front had at least one of our lot in it. Excellent stuff. 25.8mph and 246W average for me.

by Melly Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 pm
Best day/night of the year for me so far and restored my confidence after a dreadful showing in everything else so far this year and as Rich D rightfully said "I've only ever seen you by the side of the road this year", made it through the last corner near the front of the bunch, but couldn't quite hold it until the finish. Figures for me include ride to the start and back from the car park, as i always forget to start it if i leave it until the action starts !!! using the PowerCal. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/320422030
Last edited by Melly on Thu May 30, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Broom Wagon Thu May 30, 2013 10:38 pm
Thanks to Cycleworks for organising this. My fitness just doesn't seem to have reached even it's usual low level this year so I was hugely dubious about doing this, my first road race of the year at all, expecting not to have the fitness to get much of a race. I needn't have worried as this flat and I thought safe course was just my thing and I thought the average of 25mph a little lower than what I remember of road racing. It didn't do me any harm either to have a good long warm up and I felt very good on the first lap, though I was tiring by the last two turns of the final lap and it took a fair effort to hold position.

I suppose everyone feels they could have worked harder and it's the same with me, I feel I should have placed myself where I could watch the breaks and try to get into a few - how realistic I'm being I don't know, but I feel I could have done that. Like Melly, much confidence restored too.

by menticknap Fri May 31, 2013 6:38 am
Yeah. Nice riding Clifton. Perhaps you could have worked better together to string the bunch out......

Looking forward to Thursday RR on the 13 June at Kirby Misperton?
There is one space available left (I have had to remove one rider), so get in there quick!

Maffers.

PS...there are still lots of potholes on this course. I have tried so hard to get them filled, we have even considered going out there in the middle of the night filling them! So be warned - dont ride on your best carbon lightweights.

by AndyM Fri May 31, 2013 7:29 am
Any more points on the board last night? Sounds like there's been some great results from people recently, keep it up :)

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the last entry Maffers - see you on the start line folks :D

by RichardD Fri May 31, 2013 9:20 am
Short fast races like these seem to need a reasonably sized group to stay away. Trying to average over 26 mph for 80 minutes to keep away from the bunch is beyond me without some serious help, especially if there are one or two organised teams willing to bring things back.
However, one can but try, and I dug myself into a hole a couple of times off the front or chased to what I hoped would be a break. Wasn't happening, so it came down to the sprint. Managed to get myself into a good position with about 200 to go and then started to feel 'contact' several times on my back wheel and someone shouting incoherently from behind. This was accompanied by a loud metal-on-metal sound. I thought it was my back wheel so made the decision to play safe and ease off. I did not want to wipe out with 40+ guys doing 30+ mph behind me! Turns out it was not my problem and someones chain had snapped apparently. I think everyone made it safe across the line.
Enjoyed it anyway, and looking forward to the hillier circuits.

by GrahamMartin Fri May 31, 2013 2:59 pm
First time I've made it to the line with the bunch. Reckon I finished up about 4 places shy of Mr Bixby - chappeau sir! Loved having people out shouting at us all - a real boost as I couldn't hear the names they were shouting!

Was very thankful to be getting my new wheels re-trued for free at Cycleworks today when, on the first lap, I slammed through almost every pothole going from Wheldrake to Escrick. I did get shouted at by a few guys, and have take-aways to work on, but the overall message seems to be that I'm not as slow as I thought I was. I swear I've suffered more on chaingangs barring the last 5 miles, when it felt like I was pushing myself to the limits. The final run in to the line seemed very confused - the pace dropped like a lead balloon at one point for no observable reason meaning that my repositioning had to be abandoned mid-move. That said, I've learnt how to use gears coming out of junctions apparently.
by timj Fri May 31, 2013 4:27 pm
The race last night was for me the most frustrating yet.Flat as they come and a lot of riders just happy to sit in the wheels which to me is very puzzling as most get absolutely nothing out of the race. Very negative race with everything that looked like getting a bit of rope was duly reeled in.Tried a few times and got a decent gap once or twice but not for long and eventually sat in the wheels for the last lap and tried to position myself on a decent wheel but got swamped just before the last corner and ended up sprinting just outside the points with a couple of other Clifton.I do think a lot of our (my) energy was wasted if we wanted one of us to get a decent placing.What do others think I know it is difficult but we have riders who can win these races.I know we are not a racing team.

by mart66 Fri May 31, 2013 7:02 pm
I can only echo what's been put up here. Sat in, had a few digs which got nowhere, sat in again until the sprint.

Sprint was chaos as expected. Was in Richard's wheel and heard the loud clank of metal. Put me off a bit and I rolled over the line in the bunch. It was good to race (and finish) again after a poor month.

I agree that we have some strong riders and could probably do something if we worked together. I must admit I don't have idea of how we do this but m open to suggestions.

Next race could be good for a few of our guys - bit lumpier.

Martin

by JohnS Fri May 31, 2013 7:29 pm
More of the same from me. Great fun and thoroughly enjoyed last night. Slightly frustrated at the lack of results, I also didn't perform in the sprint and came in outside the top 10. Had lots of digs off the front but just not strong or fit enough to consolidate an attack. On a positive note Clifton were certainly very active at the front all evening. Just not sure that doesn't make us busy fools :). Still got to have a go! Thought Jacob had done enough for a place, but just missed out!

The key is, it seems to me, is getting a break with half a dozen who are willing to work. Thought Richard had done it with one of the Rock Racing guys when the got a nice little 3-up going and was really annoyed with myself missing it. However, even that was brought back within half a lap.

On a flat course it's always going to be difficult to make a serious break unless you are significantly better (and I'm not!).

Maybe we do need to get our heads together some more and work out how to do this. Just needs someone with a little more experience than me.

Unfortunately I can't ride the next round as I'm away with work so the next round for me is back on the same circuit. Hopefully a better result

See you all soon

John

by Andy J Fri May 31, 2013 7:51 pm
Problem with 3/4th cat races is no breaks seem to stick unless there's hills involved or a really strong cross wind where no one can hide if its strung out. Unfortunately on a flat circuit nothing will get away whilst other teams/clubs chase everything.
I think Im resonably strong, I would happily ride my heart out in a break with others willing to share the work. Something to consider for kirby misperton

by Melly Fri May 31, 2013 8:11 pm
Im very much in favour of this Andy and the rest of the guys and think a plan should be formulated.......Ill get a great view from the comms car :twisted:

by nigelt Fri May 31, 2013 10:51 pm
Top race last night. Good fun and lots of Clifton activity at the front. Perhaps being busy at the front does damage our chances of results, but it makes the race a lot more interesting! Having watched Rock Racing mainly just sit in and chase everything down, I know which I'd prefer to see.

Speaking of which, a RR rider commented on the number of Clifton riders last night. Perhaps we've got them rattled!

Just had a look at the results on the BC website, congrats Jacob, who's listed as 7th so more points on the board, well done...

by JohnS Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:20 am
Well done Jacob, thought he was up there so pleased the results showed that. Just need to get the rest of our collective fingers out next :)

John