Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by YorkCycleworks Tue May 28, 2013 7:50 am
A fantastically organised race by Andy Fraser and his team at York Cycleworks, it lacked nothing, well sign posted, including descents, they even arranged the sunshine for the riders.

Just a pity the first aid crew decided to have another 30 minutes in bed to delay the start, the riders didn't seem to mind and relaxed in the North Yorkshire sunshine.

Once on the road the mood changed quickly and it was business in hand, especially with teams represented by 100%ME, Herbalife, Sigma Sport, Wheelbase and Baku. Taking to to road for ten hard laps of the rolling Hambleton Hills.

On the first lap as riders got used to the undulating hilly circuit, the attacks started with five riders breaking clear of Adam Duggleby Wheelbase, Dave Clarke Baku, Andrew Hawden & James Sampson Herbalife and Kit Gilham Metaltek. Kit and James know the roads well as its on their doorsteps. These riders after two laps had established a 30 sec lead, which stretched to 45 second the following lap.

Sensing the danger that these could stay away four more riders chipped off the front, James Guilen Team Hope, Chris Mark Velo 29, mike Rowson Kuota, Dillon Byrne champion system.

The next time gap we got on the road was the leaders had stretched to 1.05 on the main bunch. This triggered off more escapes from the peloton with Jon Dibben 100% Tom Barras Wheelbase and Joe Moses Sportscover.

These were to be the decisive moves and the fragmented main bunch of 13 riders dropped down to 3.05 gap.

Dillon Byrne unfortunately suffered a mechanical inbetween groups and couldn't make his way back into the bunch.

With three laps to go a group of nine riders had joined together including the original group f our plus Dibben, Barras, Moses and Jamie Kennedy Paisley RC. They started working well together. The main bunch were resound to take up the minor places, however Matt Holmes team Raleigh along with Sam Lowe 100 %ME jumped off the front of the main bunch shortly followed by Chris Daddy Squadra RT.

The attacks were soon to come in the leading group with some riders dropping off the pace on the final lap.

It culminated in a superb win in the end for Jon Dibben 100%ME who along with Tom Barras Wheelbase had read the race to perfection and timed their moves well, Kit Gilham held onto third place from Dave Clarke Baku cycling project in a credible fourth.

Ben Last deserves a mention for being the first 3rd cat home.

A special voice of thanks must go out to the NEG who despite losing a fellow NEG rider yesterday in tragic circumstances, covered the race with exemplary ease. This along with Rich Houghton's Community Traffic Management made it an excellent event and extremely safe for all the riders. A wonderful new course which certainly challenged the riders, with no negative Comments heard on the course. Well done to all concerned.

Result
1. Jon Dibben. 100%ME
2. Tom Barras. Wheelbase
3. Kit Gilham. Metaltek
4. Dave Clarke. Baku cycling project
5. Andrew Hawden Herbalife
6. Joe Moses. Team Sportscover
7. Adam Duggleby. Wheelbase
8. Mike Ashurst. Bike trek
9. James Samoson. Herbalife
10. Jamie Kennedy paisley Velo
11. James Gullen. Team Hope